Proto:Rambo III (Arcade)
This page details one or more prototype versions of Rambo III (Arcade).
For several years, the parent ROM of Rambo III in MAME was a European version with different levels and a different ending compared to the US release. However, this version was later changed to a clone under the name "Europe, proto?" after a European version closer to the US final was dumped.
As it turns out, there's more than just level and ending differences.
- The prototype has only 4 scenes compared to the final game's 5, however one of them is completely unused in the final game:
|Shooting-Battle (Desert)||Escape (Prison Camp)|
|Fire in the Dark (Cave)||Shooting-Battle (Desert)|
|Unnamed Stage (Field)||Chase (Motorcycle)|
|All-Out Assault (Desert)||Fire in the Dark (Cave)|
|N/A||All-Out Assault (Desert)|
- The titles and film stills before each scene are missing from the prototype.
- The prototype has the same ending for each scene, with Rambo and Trautman (whether Player 2 is playing or not) jumping onto a motorcycle and sidecar, while the final game has unique animations and vehicles for the end of each scene.
- Boss fights have a series of counters that show the remaining number infantry and vehicles, a detail missing from the final game.
- The game's ending is a series of shots from the film instead of the staff roll in the final game.
- The proto is missing the dipswitch that allows the use of a trackball, allowing only the use of eight-way joysticks.
- Shooting-Battle has a different color palette for the desert backdrop.
- Fire in the Dark is missing almost all the boulders and blockades that serve as obstacles in the final game.
- The boss battle in Fire in the Dark has jetpack soldiers that were removed from the final game.
- All-Out Assault has two boss waves instead of one, and regardless of dipswitch settings will end your game without the chance to continue if you die in the final wave.
|The Rambo series|
|Commodore 64||Rambo: First Blood Part II|
|Sharp X1||Super Rambo|
|Arcade||Rambo III (Prototype)|
|PlayStation 3||Rambo: The Video Game|