Proto:Sonic Heroes/E3 2003 prototype
This is a sub-page of Proto:Sonic Heroes.
|This article has just been started and needs the article basics added.|
Help us out and
|This page or section needs more images. |
There's a whole lotta words here, but not enough pictures. Please fix this.
This prototype was displayed during E3 2003. It was recovered in 2014 and dumped in 2016, in a joint effort between English fansite Sonic Retro and Spanish fansite Sonic Paradise. This build is different in that a GameCube and Xbox versions are available.
|Action Replay code|
- Only two stages available from the start: "Easy", which is Seaside Hill and "Hard", which is Rail Canyon.
- Power levels aren't displayed on the character icons.
- Time counts down for some reason. This means gameplay is limited to 9 minutes and 59 seconds.
- For some reason, the game will restart after being paused for a short while.
- Instead of getting a level up when passing a checkpoint, you'll get an item depending on which character you're currently playing as. Sonic get speed shoes, Tails gets rings, and Knuckles gets a shield.
- The spheres around the "?" hints don't display if the game is in progressive scan mode.
A total of three stage tracks exist in this build. Interestingly, Sea Gate's music is given the filename STG02 in this build, suggesting it may have been intended for Ocean Palace at this point in development.
|Seaside Hill||Missing most of the drums, guitar is mixed slightly different.|
|Rail Canyon||Different drums.|
|This needs some investigation.|
Discuss ideas and findings on the talk page.
Specifically: Is there anything past the second cannon room?
- There's three dash panels present at the start, this was lowered to two.
- A few more rings are present at the beginning.
- A couple of dash hoops are present before the first ledge, these were removed in the final.
- The area after the first ledge is very empty in the E3 version.
- The level seems to end after a short while, in one of the cannon rooms. On the second cannon, the room has no exit and it seems you can't continue.
- It's very easy to clip through the ground right after the first power formation gate.
See this section on the game article.
An unused version of the Sonic Team logo.
An early logo for the game. The kanji 仮 means "temporary".
A Sonic X logo, perhaps intended for advertising purposes.
2D artwork of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles from Sonic Adventure 2.
Concept art of Ocean Palace. All these files have the name title0325_0##.png, there's also pictures with the Sonic Heroes logo, and copyright text, suggesting they were used in an extremely early title screen.
Even though only Seaside Hill and Rail Canyon are playable normally, the files for Ocean Palace, Egg Hawk, Bullet Station, Frog Forest, Grand Metropolis, Bingo Highway, Power Plant, and the Test Level are all on the game's disc.