Talk:Half-Life 2 (Windows)
Naturally, this page could be hideously huge or cut short, up to you guys, since there was the leaked Beta. It's written up on the Combine Wiki [] and has a website devoted to it in Russian (but now with English translation) []. Here's things to cover, if we choose to cover the leak.
NPC Differences: Such as the Fast Zombies, Stalkers, and some abilities that the Strider and Gunship don't use in the final game. WC Mappack The HUGE but still probably incomplete folders of .vmf files, to be opened in Hammer. Cut Content - So much. There are weapons, NPCs, locations, vehicles... Some of this is also found in Raising the Bar.
If not, the actual retail version was pretty picked clean. There may be a few tidbits here and there left in it, but I don't remember anything specific.
Also: Vienna Sausages. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1_2IwoEsq4 This discussion is found in the Beta sound files, among hundreds of other things. Sarikuya 22:42, 21 October 2010 (EDT)
There are plenty of unused sounds around the game's files like the Citizen cried out, "Watch what you're doing!" which implies that the Citizen was originally going to be killed by the player like the first game. Also, the stunstick was used in Half-Life 2 Deathmatch and the texture for the unused sniper ammo was also in Garry's Mod in the Materials tool for decorating props. Jiterdomer 02:20, 23 July 2013 (EDT)
- 1 Stub?
- 2 What's Left
- 3 How is the source code handled?
- 4 Cut Vehicles
- 5 Human APC
- 6 sexyidle
- 7 Hydra Textures
- 8 Snow & Ice Textures
- 9 Source SDK Content
- 10 Unused/possibly unused animations
- 11 Possibly cut area in Nova Prospekt
- 12 matsys_regressiontest
- 13 PC Gamer Issue 145 Demo Disc Cover
- 14 Physgun script file
Does this need to be counted as a stub anymore? I'm far from finished, but it already has a bunch of content. Sarikuya 17:51, 22 October 2010 (EDT)
Sound files - There are tons of these that were never used. If you think they're valuable, let me know and I'll work on those. VMF listing - There's gotta be 1000+ and some are just silly. Unless someone thinks it's of value I'd let this lie. E3 Demos + Original Storyline - Too expansive to cover tonight. Tons of maps. Up to you guys.
Also there was the Raising the Bar book with cut enemy sketches. I'm not going to bother with this since none are found in game. Feel free to add more if you guys want to. Sarikuya 20:10, 22 October 2010 (EDT)
How about we cover the Raising the Bar sketches, etc in subpages? It would be alot more organized! I want to help this page because It's so empty. I'm planning to cover the WC mappack, the betas, the removed weapons Hows that sound? Snakey125 1:48 2 March 2011 (EDT)
How is the source code handled?
Half-Life 2's entire source code is available through the Source SDK which is now on GitHub. Is it actually relevant for the article and where do you draw the line for what should and could be included in the article? There's obviously unused stuff (a literal "unused" folder with unused weapons like the flare gun which was never tied to an in-game entity) and then there's unused code and unused parts of code for things that are used. Combing through the AI for the Combine Soldier, the Citizens and various kinds of Headcrab Zombies, there's a lot of behaviour that's unused, like how NPCs should handle running out of ammo (in the released game, NPCs have unlimited ammo). Is there an official guideline for what is too minor to mention?
Another problem is that the source code on GitHub is updated 2013 source code and not what the game shipped with, but if that's an issue there are probably places where whatever launched with the original SDK can be found. --Rapstah 06:58, 23 July 2013 (EDT)
- Half-Life 2's source code? Isn't that just the Source engine's uh, source code? // Foxhack 08:34, 23 July 2013 (EDT)
- No, the Source SDK specifically has Half-Life 2's source code and none of the engine's source code, just the interfaces where the game talks to the engine. It's for modding Half-Life 2 or the episodes. --Rapstah 09:37, 23 July 2013 (EDT)
I found some text documents referring to some of the cut vehicles
airboat.txt apc.txt apc_npc.txt cannon.txt crane.txt digger.txt driveway.txt fastdigger.txt jeep_test.txt jetski.txt prisoner_pod.txt reference_vehicle.txt
When opening up some of them, there's a little line of text at the top telling you what the vehicle is, along with revealing some early plotpoints. Opening driveway reveals that at one point, Gordon was supposed to hijack a combine apc and drive through city 17. Feel free to look into this. It's found under ...Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\hl2\scripts\vehicles Clone5184 (talk) 03:12, 2 August 2014 (EDT)
- Well I'll tell you this, airboat.txt apc.txt cannon.txt crane.txt and jalopy.txt are used. apc_npc.txt digger.txt fastdigger.txt and jetski.txt aren't used. jeep_test.txt and reference_vehicle.txt are used for the SDK. The Kid (talk) 09:41, 2 August 2014 (EDT)
I know about the combine apc, but I remember a while ago, when I was messing around in Half-Life 2's SDK, that I stumbled across an apc model that was supposed to be for the humans; rather than the combine. Anyone know whether or not this is used? Clone5184 (talk) 13:38, 6 August 2014 (EDT)
- I don't know the map name off the top of my head, but it's in one firefight just before crossing a big rail bridge during the scout car section. It doesn't have any animations, and has no info to make it work as a dynamic prop. It's surprisingly light, too, weighing exactly as much as the physics-enabled passenger cars. I don't doubt that it was ever intended for much more than gravity gun fodder. --HipEkans (talk) 18:37, 14 January 2016 (EST)
- There's an animation for Alyx named "sexyidle". You can view it using HLMV under sequences.
Is this used? It seems....oddly named.— The preceding unsigned comment was added by Robotortoise (talk • contribs)
- I remember seeing some test models that are differently textured Alyx models (wireframe, shiny, etc.) and the only animation they had was sexyidle. I'll have to go check again, but I'm pretty sure they're there. Khalil805 (talk) 13:46, 9 March 2016 (EST)
While messing around in Half-Life 2's hammer editor, I came across some textures for the hydra. I don't know how to take a photo or upload the original images. Help please? Clone5184 (talk) 20:23, 12 November 2014 (EST)
Snow & Ice Textures
Found some snow & ice textures in /materials/nature/. I don't think these are used anywhere. Maybe they have something to do with the Borealis? --Tbh1138 (talk) 15:31, 23 November 2014 (EST)
It is used in episodes 1 and 2 with the Mossman cutscene, though it may be unused if they show up in a source engine version from before those two games... --TGlitschen (talk) 18:07, 9 March 2016 (EST)
Source SDK Content
There's a bunch of stuff uncovered recently in the Source SDK. Partial release is here! The full files come with the SDK which is really expensive, but out there. Some of the content has been released. Some has only been shown off. Unused content from Half Life 2 (early physics gun) and Episode 1 (Bullsquid, early Alex death) are present. Maybe Episode 2.
Video with beta maps here. Video summarizing much of the content here. Developments ongoing. --Heran Bago (talk) 16:18, 10 August 2016 (EDT)
Unused/possibly unused animations
I uploaded a video on Youtube of some animations, I'm not entirely sure if they're all unused. I know a few of them are for sure, but I'm not certain on a few of them. Video is Hereː https://youtu.be/tFY7aXLnFTo --Khalil805 (talk) 23:04, 17 June 2017 (EDT)
- To add to this, Antlions have an animation called "touchtest". It's a weird one, since it not only doesn't properly move the antlion, but there's also no animation for the antlion leaving that touch-testing state. --RandomCatDude (talk) 14:17, 28 January 2019 (EST)
Possibly cut area in Nova Prospekt
I've found an odd area in the map d2_prison_03, it looks like remnants of a cut area, with only breakable boards remaining. I can't really describe the location accurately, though. So here are some screenshots from Hammer to show it clearly. --RandomCatDude (talk) 06:33, 30 March 2019 (EDT)
how is matsys_regressiontest/background not listed as an unused texture? it's like, the most wellknown one. is there a reason i'm missing? --NO BOOT DEVICE (talk) 21:39, 28 July 2019 (EDT)
PC Gamer Issue 145 Demo Disc Cover
The label for the PC Gamer Issue 145 demo disc shows a version of the prison but with the orange Hammer test textures instead. Anyone see any diffrences from this and the final? https://ia800608.us.archive.org/14/items/PC_Gamer_Issue_145_February_2005_Disc_1/PC%20Gamer%20Issue%20145%20%28February%202005%29%20%28Disc%201%29.jpg
Physgun script file
You lads know that the physgun is in the HL2 beta and is Gmod's iconic manipulator, right? You do. Apparently, there's a script file for it in the game files. Spawning it in-game doesn't work though