Talk:The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 1 Archives
- 2 Filename oddities
- 3 Unused Child Malon
- 4 Some interesting prerelease stuff
- 5 Bugs entry?
- 6 Function of ovl_64dd
- 7 Handler for over 9999 rupees
- 8 Some unused sound effects are in another unrelated game
- 9 Traditional Chinese version
- 10 Sheik's Mouth Texture
- 11 Giles Goddard Interview
- 12 Should this be added? Unused treasure opening camera animation
Some filenames imply that the contents were overwritten, like Dark Link being named "torch". Some file names have other oddities, like Stalfos being named "test", implying it was the first enemy created. Are these worth adding to the page in some manner? Most people won't be exposed to these oddities otherwise. Robotortoise (talk) 01:01, 23 April 2015 (EDT)
I'm surprised that this hasn't been specifically added anywhere, to my memory at least. It would be neat either as another list on the notes page, or as a subpage in itself.
I did find these on spinout's site, although the first one doesn't tell you what the files actually are.
Unused Child Malon
The original editor had included a video link but removed it. The video explains it better.
As far as I can tell from the video there are unused lines of code inside of the object for child malon to handle her spawning in talon's house at night. Normally it is impossible to go inside Talon's house at night so there is not a spawn point for her. Porcino added a spawn point in the video to see how malon would act. This unused code appears to be a duplicate of malon's normal behavior (outside in the horse ring during the day). She won't appear until after waking talon up at the castle, and when she does appear she teaches epona's song. Trying to learn epona's song inside will warp the player outside.Legoman60 (talk) 03:21, 14 December 2015 (EST)Legoman60
Some interesting prerelease stuff
So i was messing around in wayback machine and found this: http://web.archive.org/web/19961222150158/http://www.nintendo.com/newsroom/show_frame.html
Theres a lot of things i found like footage of Mother 3 (N64), a screenshot of star fox 64 with an early hud, but the most interesting things i found are screenshots and footage of an early version of Ocarina of Time.
- I believe much of this is covered on GlitterBerri's incomplete prerelease pages. I didn't dig deeply into your link, so maybe there's something new? ColdPie (talk) 14:40, 11 January 2016 (EST)
- When can we add her pages to the main bob on this page? As it stands, someone may end up digging around a little just to find those pages.
I've been out of the loop for a while. What are you guys talking about? What is Yuriowind's insanely detailed page? I only discovered him yesterday (on youtube). The only thing that stood out to me of these pics from the ones GB is using is how they don't have a watermark and are much more detailed (probably for the same reason that they weren't edited on circa 98' era computer hardware). Elements (talk) 18:50, 12 January 2016 (EST)
I don't expect a page to rival Zelda Chaos to be made, but should the bugs that can allow one to see unused content (Wrong Warp used in some way, for example?) be covered in an entry?
- As documented on the Help:Contents/Rules & Guidelines#Don't Add This Stuff page, "[a] glitch that grants players access to unused or debug content" should be covered on the main page. Other glitches/bugs can be covered on a Bugs: page. -Einstein95 (talk) 01:43, 3 May 2016 (EDT)
Function of ovl_64dd
Handler for over 9999 rupees
At RAM address 80075C18 (US v1.0) is part of the routine that draws the rupee counter. Specifically, this instruction does some alternate logic if you have over 9999 rupees. I'm not sure what, exactly, it does; it just seems to display wrong numbers. Pretty strange since you can't get that many rupees, and the routine already doesn't handle more than 3 digits correctly anyway. (You can change the instruction parameter to e.g. 1 to see the weird behaviour.) ⬡ (talk) 04:08, 30 October 2016 (EDT)
- Hmm, neat stuff. I'll ask some of the more knowledgable people in our #zelda channel about your find, maybe someone can figure out what it does! Feel free to join us there sometime. --GlitterBerri (talk) 20:36, 30 November 2016 (EST)
So, I was playing Mario Artist Polygon Studio, and when I pressed start on the part of the game where you drive your car creation in various environments, the was a sound. I pressed the start button again. Turns out, the unused pause effects in Ocarina of Time ended up being used in Polygon Studio! Both of what was presumed to be the enter pause menu and exit pause menu sound effects did their exact purpose in Polygon Studio. I think we should investigate other obscure titles to see if there are other sound effects that are unused in oot, but used in another game.-Hexatendo (talk) 14:42, 29 November 2016 (EST)
- Cool observations, Hexatendo! Those are both definitely worth noting on the page. Care to add that info? I wonder what other titles might've reused such sound effects. Maybe other Mario Artist games? --GlitterBerri (talk) 20:35, 30 November 2016 (EST)
Traditional Chinese version
Recently, part of the ticket data for the Traditional Chinese version of Ocarina of Time was found in the files of an iQue Depot. This implies that, if you could have got hold of a depot in the mid-2000s, it might have been possible to purchase the (currently thought to be unreleased) version of the game. Should this change its status as unreleased? Jhynjhiruu (talk) 16:04, 19 February 2019 (EST)
Sheik's Mouth Texture
- I don't think so, usually Sheik has her mouth covered, only some of the hair and eyes are usually seen. --Fireflamesniper (talk) 16:55, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
Giles Goddard Interview
Should this be added? Unused treasure opening camera animation
If you place a big treasure chest in a prerendered area and open it, the camera animation for showing the item will look the same as it did in several prerelease videos. --B squo (talk) 16:25, 18 December 2021 (UTC)