Metal Slug X (Neo Geo)
|Metal Slug X|
This game has unused areas.
Subpage for the unused enemies and other objects. Some can be seen in the debug tests, however there is much more stuff, as demonstrated by these hack ROM videos:    
Find a way to access them by code cheating or ROM hacking.
Also add unused graphics from here: http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/msmia/2x/ug.html
Metal Slug X is like the director's cut of Metal Slug 2, seemingly built from an early version of Metal Slug 3. The bombastic announcer makes its debut (RAWKET LAWNCHAIR!), and best of all, there's no more slowdowns! It's amazing.
| Unused Stages|
A whopping 56 of them, in various stages of completion.
- メニューを とじる（ＰＡＵＳＥしたまま） - Close the Menu (While Paused)
- ＳＥＴ ＤＥＢＵＧ ＤＩＰ
- ステージ セレクト - Stage Select
- ＴＥＳＴ ＳＴＡＧＥ
- サウンド テスト - Sound Test
- ＣＯＬＯＲ ＢＡＲ
To access the debug mode, open the game in Console Mode and set debug developer mode On at the Neo Geo boot-up screen: this can be done via the Kawaks emulator, the Nebula emulator or using the Neo Geo UniBios.
Enter the game, and press COIN twice during gameplay: after pausing, the debug menu will appear - with options to activate the debug dipswitches (which can be activated separately through other options using Kawaks) and even the ability to play on any regular level, and even some test levels not available in the actual game. There is also a Sound Test screen and Color Test screen.
SET DEBUG DIP
- ムテキ - Invincibility
- ＶＩＥＷ ＩＮＦＯＲＭＡＴＩＯＮ - View debug information.
- イツデモＰＡＵＳＥ - Allows to pause during score tally, cutscenes and credits.
- ＶＩＥＷ ＧＥＯ ＳＣＲＯＬＬ Ａ - 1st plane check, shows the walkable ground, makes the foreground choppy as it scrolls when activated. May linger if not turned off properly.
- ＶＩＥＷ ＧＥＯ ＳＣＲＯＬＬ Ｂ - 2nd plane check, makes the background choppy as it scrolls when activated.
- ＶＩＥＷ ＡＴＴＡＣＫ ＲＥＣＴ - View attack hitbox.
- ＶＩＥＷ ＢＯＤＹ ＲＥＣＴ - View body hitbox.
- ムセイゲン グレネード - Infinite grenades.
- ムセイゲン ＰＯＷガン - Infinite ammunition.
- ＶＩＥＷ ＰＡ ポイント - A sprite of Satiko Suzuki with wrong palette appears, showing the player's respawn point.
- Ｄボタン、テキ ゼンメツ - Press D to destroy all onscreen enemies (no score bonuses)
Exactly what it says on the tin, allows you to warp to all stages and sections in the game. Unlike Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X contains a whopping 56 unused stages. Some of them were later used for Metal Slug 3 with major/minor spit and polish. See the subpage on where does it warp to.
These strange test stages can be accessed with the above debug menu. While some of the test stages' names are the same as those of Metal Slug 2, they were completely different. There's also a couple of new names in the test stage selection.
- ＴＥＳＴ１ ｆｏｒ ＡＮＤＹ ＴＨＥ ＷＩＺＡＲＤ The start of Mission 1, claims that it's Mission 3. There's a POW with an Armor Piercer at the start, and another AP, followed by boxes of Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Flame Shot, Laser and Enemy Chaser. A Girida-O is parachuted in right after the Enemy Chaser, and the rest of the test level is empty.
- ＴＥＳＴ２ ｆｏｒ ＭＥＥＨＥＲ will bring you to the start of Mission 4. The first thing you will see here is a rocket flying ass-backwards(!) and a Camel Slug. Some mummy dogs and a runaway camel shows up. Level doesn't scroll when the dogs are gone.
- ＴＥＳＴ３ ｆｏｒ ＹＯＫＯ－ＳＨＵ transports you to the start of Mission 3, but it claims to be Mission 5. Parts of the games credit bizarrely scrolls up immediately after you spawn. The two sunbathing soldiers can be shot dead, who will drop a shotgun and a machine gun if shot some more. A Metal Slug is available ahead, and lots of those guardposts in Metal Slug shows up, some are bizarrely floating on air. A rocket well is right up ahead, and two Dararin Dara Daras can be seen (the first one is dumping steel beams to the ground, should the player didn't advance too fast). After the frogmens up ahead, the houses can still be destroyed for food items like the original levels. When reaching the boss area, the screen scrolls slowly like when encountering the boss, but the boss never shows up.
- ＴＥＳＴ４ ｆｏｒ ナミひら (Namihira) starts off at a section of Final Mission, with a MH-6J Masknell flying in, and unlimited Slugnoids to the right. Some soldiers show up, and getting to the end of the stage will end the mission and brings you to the total score tally and straight to the credits.
- ＴＥＳＴ５ ｆｏｒ アリタ (Arita) starts you off at the start of Mission 1, but swordsmen Arabs shows up instead of enemy infantry. A group of coins may or may not appear, and later on the stage, a coin, a banana or a steaming pile will spawn out of nowhere for grabs.
- ＴＥＳＴ６ ｆｏｒ ＮＩＳＨＩＮＯ is Mission 4 claimed as Mission 2. Various armaments will be available at the start of spawn and things get weird from there. There are various enemies that would later appear in Metal Slug 3, such as the snail, the piranha, the formen with plungers and the Japanese airplanes on ziplines. Like the YOKO-SHU test stage, upon reaching the boss area the screen scrolls slowly like when encountering the boss, but the boss never shows up.
- ＴＥＳＴ７ ｆｏｒ ＮＡＫＡＴＵＫＡ it's simply a Mission 1 claiming that it's Mission 3. There is no music, no props to jump on (e.g. the first building you see) like the original stage. Getting to the building with the three towers, you will fight Morden in a chopper. Taking him out will end the mission and continues off to the proper game, Mission 4 and beyond.
- ＴＥＳＴ８ ｆｏｒ ＴＡＧＵＣＨＩ is a section of Mission 2 claiming that it's Mission 4. There is a Slug Flyer in the beginning with a few mortar infantries. As you go up, various crabs will spawn from out of nowhere, and as you reach the last leg before the boss area, various coins and mummy jars will spawn out of thin air. Like the YOKO-SHU and NISHINO test stage, upon reaching the boss area the screen scrolls slowly like when encountering the boss, but the boss never shows up.
SFX and BGM test screen.
Color test screen.
Depending on what BIOS is used, the message shown at startup will be different.
Note the misspelling "ADVISOLY". Also, the credit amounts are showed in the screen, which is unusual.
|The Metal Slug series|
|Neo Geo||Metal Slug • Metal Slug 2 • Metal Slug X • Metal Slug 3 • Metal Slug 4 • Metal Slug 5|
|Game Boy Advance||Metal Slug Advance|
|Nintendo DS||Metal Slug 7|