Proto:Garfield Kart (Nintendo 3DS)
This page details one or more prototype versions of Garfield Kart (Nintendo 3DS).
A total of seven prototypes and the game's design documents were released online around the same time as the April-May 2020 Pokémon source code leaks, but unrelated to that leak. They can be downloaded here.
- 1 Oddities
- 2 Banner
- 3 First Playable Prototype V1
- 4 First Playable Prototype V2
- 5 Garfield Kart Test Build
- 6 GDC Prototype
- 7 Age Rating Prototype
- 8 Unlocked FOV Prototype
- 9 Interim Build
- Interestingly, in prototypes 1-5, only Microids is credited at the beginning.
- In all of the prototypes, there is text saying 'Please Wait.' on the bottom screen written in green after the game is launched.
- When the ROMs are viewed in FBI, some interesting stuff can be found.
- The first 2 prototypes use the placeholder Application by Publisher text.
- The 6th (unlocked) prototype shows that it was published by Anuman Interactive (before they changed their name to Microïds).
- The other prototypes strangely have the publisher as PQube (despite them having nothing to do with this game).
- All prototypes (except the 6th), when installed, instead of them being installed seperately, they are overwritten by eachother.
- Also all of them (except the first 2 and the 6th) have the name HELLO KITTY 3D RACING, suggesting that this game was a reskin.
- The jumping was different in almost every prototype.
The first two builds use a blank icon and the default banner, while the others use the banner from Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends 3D Racing.
|Protos 1-2||Protos 3-7|
First Playable Prototype V1
- None of the options work except the Play button.
- The icons were ripped from the mobile version.
The controls are completely different: movement happens with the D-Pad, B jumps, Y shoots the item forwards, the A button puts the item behind the driver, and the rest of the buttons don't do anything.
- The item box's model disappears on contact, but items can still be collected even when the model isn't present.
- For some reason, there is an invisible barrier in front of the goal.
- Only one track, Country Bumpkin, is present, though Palerock Lake's music is used.
- There is no track preview.
- The HUD is completely different: it's in a basic font, and displays the current time, best time, and lap count.
- All the characters are Garfield.
- The countdown numbers are also in a basic font.
- The pause menu has purple buttons, and the Main Menu and Continue Game options are next to each other.
- The "Are you sure you want to exit?" text seen when selecting Main Menu is horizontal and overlaps the buttons.
- There is a candy in front of the starting line, which was removed.
- When the pillow is used, the model flies up in the sky. The Z above the character's head doesn't rotate.
- There are no animations.
- The boost effect has a different texture.
- The dirt at the end of the track has better textures.
- The results screen displays all the characters, their best laps, and their total time.
- The perfume jingle doesn't loop.
- It is possible to reach - laps by jumping in the river in the right place.
- For some reason, only the pie, lasagna, pillow and the perfume items appear in the roulette.
- When someone gets hit, they swerve to the side like in Super Mario Kart.
- Sometimes, the pillow power-up can glitch out and last for a lot longer than intended.
- There are no spoilers on the back of the karts.
First Playable Prototype V2
- The controls are now those of the final.
- The correct music is played.
- The puzzle pieces are now present, though no menu for them exists yet.
Garfield Kart Test Build
A build with actual menus, all of the tracks and terrible physics.
- Actual physics are now implemented (they are terrible).
- All of the tracks are present.
- You can accelerate with the Y button.
- Most of the minimaps are flipped vertically/horizontally.
- When drifting, Garfield plays his 'hit' animation.
- The character models have some weird shading.
- No track preview.
- The acceleration is unbearably slow.
- The diamond can't be removed from your racer.
- There is an actual puzzle piece counter on the bottom.
- No animations (still).
- All the items are obtainable.
- None of the game modes work as they are intended (Time Trials, Grand Prix).
- Sometimes the character isn't fast enough to drift.
- Characters can be selected, but they just default back to Garfield.
- The character animations on the character select are faster than the final.
- The icons on the minimap are mapped to the wrong characters.
- The track previews on the top screen don't change.
- The UFO power-up has no bottom screen icon.
All of the menus went through some changes, especially the character select. There are also arrows and a buy icon which do aboslutely nothing.
A prototype that planned to be shown off at the Game Developers Conference. It's pretty much the same as the test build, but with only 3 tracks.
- The chicken hat is automatically equipped (it does nothing).
- There is a coin counter, though it doesn't display anything.
- The characters are in the wrong order (same with the cars and spoilers).
- As mentioned, there are only 3 tracks: Play Misty For Me, Spooky Manor and Blazing Oasis (all from different cups).
- The countdown is faster.
- When the perfume is used, the boost graphic is seen as if you are performing a drift (jingle still doesn't loop).
- When collecting a coin, it gives a random amount of coins.
- The puzzle piece counter is still here, but it's useless since there are no puzzle pieces in this build.
Age Rating Prototype
A prototype that is much closer to the final game, but with some changed (mostly with the physics of course).
- When the game runs at normal speed, turning becomes extremely slow.
- When using the UFO, they fly right in front of the player.
- Bumping into some walls can cause you to fly up really high (this is Garfield Kart after all).
- When rapidly selecting track, the bottom screen's graphics can be seen on the top screen.
- There is a track preview.
- The AI has different cars.
- Some hats aren't positioned correctly on the characters.
- Some minimaps are still displayed incorrectly.
- When finishing a Grand Prix, the cup's trophy is shown with the text 'Victory!' above it.
- You can restart any track, even in Grand Prix.
For some strange reason, the Space-Bubble's description is in German.
Unlocked FOV Prototype
A build that includes an actual profile selection and credits!
- 3 pies can be obtained from the roulette, without Jon's hat.
- Sometimes when winning, the 'Race Lost' music plays.
- The game freezes after a few races.
A debug menu can be accessed on the title screen by pressing the X button. It's not too interesting. You can select tracks, and podium sequences.
The final (and best) prototype, presumably before the final build and the Unlocked FOV.
- The Yes and No buttons are reversed (yes is on the right, no is on the left).
- In this build, every AI has the same kart.
- The text had a thicker outline.
- The requirements for some Time Trials medals were different.
- The characters and karts look smaller.
- When quitting from a Time Trials race, the timer will still be displayed at the top of the screen.
- When drifting, you slow down a little.
- When paused, the bottom screen doesn't go dark.
- When getting 3rd place or lower, the 'Shame!' text doesn't appear.
|The Garfield series|
|NES||A Week of Garfield (Prototype)|
|Game Boy||Garfield Labyrinth|
|Genesis||Caught in the Act|
|Game Gear||Caught in the Act|
|Windows||Caught in the Act • Mad About Cats • Garfield • Lasagna World Tour • Garfield Kart: Furious Racing|
|Adobe Flash||Sheep Shot • Scary Scavenger Hunt • Hairball Hack • Krazy Kennel Breakout|
|Game Boy Advance||Garfield and His Nine Lives • The Search for Pooky|
|Nintendo DS||Garfield's Nightmare • Garfield's Fun Fest|
|Nintendo 3DS||Garfield Kart (Prototypes)|
|Wii||The Garfield Show: Threat of the Space Lasagna|