Developers: The Counter-Strike Team,
This game has a prototype article
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
|This page is rather stubbly and could use some expansion.|
Are you a bad enough dude to
Counter-Strike started as a Half-Life mod. It's one of the most popular mods out there even to this day. It got so popular, Valve went as far to make it official, and eventually gimp the game to get people to switch to its successor.
It appears that there were plans for hiring teammates. In the GameUI.dll file, there is text that reads:
%s is not available for hiring!
"%s" would stand for the member you were trying to hire.
The game has several unused graphics for weapons and equipment that could be leftovers from the unreleased Gearbox Software version of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
- CS Grenade: A smoke grenade that can damage players that are near its smoke. Two HUD icons and a kill icon remain.
- Flare: Two HUD icons and a kill icon for it still exist. Strangely, an unused flare model can be found in Half-Life.
- Gas Mask: A gas mask to most likely combat the effects of the CS Grenade. Only two HUD icons remain.
- M60: Going Rambo on Terrorist? Sounds fun, but sadly only a HUD icon and kill icon remain. This weapon has reappeared in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes.
- M72 LAW: A rocket launcher strangely called "LAW Grenade". You all know whats left. This weapon has reappeared in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes.
- Machete: Two HUD icons and a kill icon shows it was going to be in the game at one time. Interestingly enough, the icons resemble a Kukri rather than a machete.
- Molotov Cocktail: Only HUD and kill icons are left, but reappears in Global Offensive!
Unused Radio commands
|This needs some investigation.|
Discuss ideas and findings on the talk page.
Specifically: Investigate if there's more sounds left unused.
|Circle around back.|
|Ok team, follow my command.|
Leftovers from Previous Versions
These sounds are leftovers from de_vegas, a map introduced in Beta 7.0 that was removed from 1.6 because of issues with textures.
The USK 16 German version has much of the same censorship featured in Half-Life, such as having enemies sit down and shake their head when they get shot and turning the blood yellow. In addition, every hostage uses the same character model, removing the researcher models. The German Steam version, rated USK 18, completely removes the blood.
|The Counter-Strike series|
|Windows||Counter-Strike (Prototypes) • Condition Zero (Deleted Scenes) • Counter-Strike: Source • Global Offensive|
|Mac OS X||Counter-Strike: Source • Global Offensive|
|Linux||Counter-Strike: Source • Global Offensive|