X-Men: Children of the Atom (Arcade)
|X-Men: Children of the Atom|
This game has a notes page
|This page is rather stubbly and could use some expansion.|
Are you a bad enough dude to
X-Men: Children of the Atom is a fighting game starring everyone's favorite mutants and their enemies, plus a hidden, playable master warrior that opened the floodgates for a crossover series.
A debug menu is accessible by setting FFEAEB to E5 and entering the test menu.
|HIT EDITOR||A character editor. Make sure to disable character cheats, or the game will lock up with Wolverine's name on the screen. Controls:
|PARTS EDITOR||Edits hitboxes.
Use EDIT to select a character (you cannot select Akuma), Save to save changes, and Exit to leave. The Save and Exit confirmations are in Japanese only.
|TSUKAMI EDITOR||Shows throw movements. (You will hear Wolverine's grunt when you enter this menu) Controls:
|GAMEMAP TEST||Allows you to view backgrounds used in the endings. Use 1P LP to change the background (space with either Avalon, villains' escape pod, a flying Sentinel, or the Blackbird in it, or an unused screen of a painting with the X-Men team minus Colossus, or a forest as used in Wolverine's and Psylocke's ending) and the 1P arrow keys to move the background.|
|ENDING OBJECT TEST||Views objects used in the ending. Change objects with the joypad and animate with MP (one frame) or HP (all frame), and reset to the first frame with HK. You can also move the object by holding MP.|
|MESSAGE TEST||Allows you to see messages (win quotes, endings, etc.). Select region/language (Japan, United States/English, Spanish, Italy) and message type (win, ending, or continue).
Akuma's lines exist only in English and Japanese. In Italian and Spanish, win messages 60 and after that are omitted, with the quote 5F consisting only of ellipses. His ending line ("I am the master warrior!") was left untranslated. Furthermore, viewing the continue messages in Italian or Spanish will cause the game to crash to attract mode since they were not translated to these languages.
|SCR PRI TEST||A scroll test (stage viewer). The weak attack buttons correspond to S1 scroll, the middle ones to the S2 scroll, and the fierce ones to the S3 scroll. By default, Colossus' stage is displayed.
|SCR BLK TEST||A scroll block test used to view objects for a stage. You will be asked to select a scroll before starting. By default, Colossus' scroll blocks are displayed.
|SENSEI||Tests various attack information for every character. Select a character, then press 1P LP. This will take a few seconds.
It's possible that "Test Data" in this mode corresponds to Akuma.
|EXIT||Exactly what it says on the tin.|
Unused Ending Texts
|8F||I have lost too many of my loved ones to Xavier's failed||He perdido a muchos amigos pr el sueňo de Xavier.||Ho perso molti amici per il sogno di Xavier.|
|90||dream. I will try yours.||Probaré contigo.||Combatterõ adesso per il tuo.|
|98||I chose to follow Magneto because I cannot forgive the||Seguiré a Magneto porque no perdonaré a los asesinos de||Volevo seguire Mag-neto, perchẽ gil umani hanno|
|99||humans for killing mother and father. But...||mis padres. Pero...||ammazzato I miei genitori.|
|9A||Did I truly make the right choice?||¿He tomado la decisión correcta?||Perõ, ho preso la giusta decisione?|
These are all references to Colossus' stint as a member of Magneto's Acolytes in the comics' Fatal Attractions storyline (that one where Wolverine gets his adamantium ripped by Magneto), where the game is loosely based upon. An empty box also exists in the Japanese language, ending message, ID 98, while Colossus' options to join or reject Magneto can be found in ID C.
|ID||Japanese||Other Language ID|
Unused Ending Graphics
Both Hit Editor and Ending Object Test reveal the sprite of Colossus painting a picture (including an appropriate hat for this task) of the playable X-Men with Professor Xavier in place of Colossus (found in Gamemap Test). This may have been related to Colossus' scrapped multiple ending choices above.
Unused Palettes for Bosses
Juggernaut and Magneto actually have unused alternate palettes for mirror matches, which can only be selected by choosing both the first and second players' characters as either Juggernaut or Magneto. The difference is quite mild, only in the brightness of the colors.
The Japanese version adds a Capcom logo and a silhouette of Ryu in front of a purple globe between the Q-Sound logo and attract mode sequence. This logo would later appear for all regions in the next Marvel/Capcom fighting games that ran on the CPS-2 board.
Rip the female Acolyte sprite?
In version 1.00 (revision 941208):
- It's not possible to speed up the results screen at the end of every round as it is in further versions.
- The special ending that is shown if the player completes the game without using a continue hasn't been added, but the song that plays in it is present in the sound test.
- When Magneto walks, his fists would be always covered in animated blue energy. This detail was scrapped in subsequent revisions.
- Magneto does not have his infamous difficulty yet. Noticeably, his EM Pulse only shoots one stream of energy.
- A fifth, female Acolyte (Anne-Marie Cortez) appears in everyone's endings; she restrains Magneto by grabbing his crotch. Her sprites were left unused in newer versions.
- The music used in the ending is different: when the Acolytes fall down, it plays track 0017, followed by track 0018 when the character leaves Magneto. All other versions use the more appropriate track 0002 during the Avalon scene, and when it explodes, it goes silent.
- Just after Avalon explodes in everyone's ending, there is a short scene which shows the character returning to Earth. The text box for this scene is placed at the top of the screen. In all other versions, it is placed at the bottom instead.
- There is only one dinosaur in the Savage Land, Wolverine's stage.
- There doesn't seem to be any way to access Akuma yet.
- It is possible to stun the opponent and gain super meter energy during the "beating the dead character" sequence (hit start when a round ends).
- The bookkeeping feature (Game Data in test menu) does not work properly—the coin, service credit, and free play counters all report 967295 and the average operating time is always one second. This also happens in version 2.00.
|The X-Men series|
|Arcade||X-Men • X-Men: Children of the Atom|
|DOS||X-Men: Children of the Atom|
|SNES||X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse|
|Genesis||X-Men • X-Men 2: Clone Wars (Prototypes) • Wolverine: Adamantium Rage • Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge|
|Game Boy Color||X-Men: Wolverine's Rage|
|Game Boy Advance||X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse • X2: Wolverine's Revenge • X-Men: The Official Game|
|PlayStation 2||X-Men: Next Dimension • X2: Wolverine's Revenge • X-Men Legends|