Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Windows)
|Call of Duty: Modern Warfare|
|This page is loooong...|
Consider grouping related content into additional subpages to ease readability.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare sees the start of the franchise recycling game titles like they recycle game content.
- 1 Sub-Pages
- 2 Easter Eggs
- 3 Unused Multiplayer Maps
- 4 Unused Map Areas
- 5 Unused Perks
- 6 Unused Equipment
- 7 Unused Field Upgrades
- 8 Cut Killstreaks
- 9 Unseen Multiplayer Content
- 10 Obscure Game Mechanics
- 11 Pre-Release Differences
- 12 Embassy
- 13 Season Name Changes
- 14 Cancelled Clan System
- 15 Supply Drops
- 16 Default Bundle Price
- 17 Unused Campaign Content
- 18 Unseen Campaign Content
- 19 Obscure Failsafes
- 20 Early UI
- 21 Development Text
- 22 Oddities
- 23 Revisional Differences
| Leftover Images|
| Unused Images|
| Unused Audio|
| Unused Videos|
| Unused Strings|
| Unused Game Modes|
Unused Multiplayer Game Modes.
| Unused or Early Operators|
Early and unused operators.
| Unused Weapon Content|
Unused Weapon Content.
| Regional Differences|
Content that was changed in other language versions of the game.
- On Hill, there is a tree a short distance outside the map that sometimes has a blue flame on it, a reference to the game "Alien vs. Predator".
- The Stim and M19 have a QR code on them that when scanned with a phone takes one to the Call of Duty Endowment website.
- On the Clean House campaign level, killing the baby on the second floor of the house three times in a row will cause on the third instance the mission failed text to read "Are you serious?" and boot the player to the main menu. A video of this can be seen here.
Unused Multiplayer Maps
The game contains names and images of unused maps. One map has a description.
|Map Name||Code name||Description (if any)||Notes|
|"Boneyard" (Gunfight map)||mp_m_boneyard|
|"Breakout"||mp_parkour||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Crusher"||mp_quarry||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Discharge" (Gunfight map)||mp_m_discharge|
|"Dominion"||mp_afghan||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Exclusion Zone" (Gunfight map)||mp_m_exclusion|
|"Fallout"||mp_fallout||"Hidden Nuclear Facility in the Ukraine"|
|"Faridah"||mp_faridah||Map was shown in the reveal trailer.|
|"Firing Range"||mp_firingrange||Most likely a map used for testing weapons.|
|"Frontier"||mp_frontier||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Frost"||mp_proto||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Genesis"||mp_dome_iw||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Grounded"||mp_desert||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Hook" (Gunfight map)||mp_m_hook|
|"Mayday"||mp_breakneck||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Precinct"||mp_metropolis||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Retaliation"||mp_riot||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Scorch"||mp_divide||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Speedway"||mp_speedway||Only mentioned in escape mode.|
|"Terminal"||mp_skyway||Leftover from Infinite Warfare.|
|"Theater" (Gunfight map)||mp_m_theater|
|"Townhouse" (Gunfight map)||mp_m_townhouse|
|"Piccadilly Day"||Images remain.|
Codenamed "mp_m_king_pm," King Night was a map used by Infinity Ward to showcase Modern Warfare's RTX features. Although cut from the game, the map is present in the PlayStation 4 version.
Unused Map Areas
- There is a short untextured rectangular block underneath the map.
- There is an invisible floor under the map that ends at one boundary of the map.
- There is an invisible wall that runs between the middle of the train track, despite the fact it isn't possible to normally reach here.
- The inside of the boats have seats that cannot be seen.
- The floor underneath the car park contains two irregular textures: a texture with different numbers on it placed directly below the car park, and a texture with numbers and the words "IN" and "OUT" on it placed further away from the first texture. The second texture appears to be a texture used to test normal maps.
- As this map is part of a Spec Ops map, the outside of the store contains a small part of Verdansk which has collision. As this is OOM (out of map), this area outside goes unused in multiplayer.
- Trivia: Atlas Superstore used to show the entire map of Verdansk, in low LOD. This was originally how people found out about the later released Warzone map, as you could go out of the top of the store in spectator mode, fly up, and see the whole map. This is now no longer possible as there is a thick fog plane that fades in when you reach a certain distance above the map.
- Broadcast, similar to Atlas Superstore, is ripped straight from Verdansk, and as such contains a myriad of different interact-able parts of the environment.
- One of these interact-able parts of the environment is a tower, with a working ladder that can be climbed. There is also a petrol station that has interact-able doors that can be opened and closed.
Unused Weapon Perks
The game contains strings and code names for several unused Weapon Perks.
|PerkName||Code name||Description (if any)||Notes|
|"Fast-Up"||ADSUP||Improved ADS Raise Speed.|
|"Bling"||BLING||1 Additional Attachment Slot.|
|"Dead On"||ADSIDLE||Improved ADS Idle Sway.|
|"Stance Training"||CROUCHRECOIL||Extra training provides greater accuracy in supported positions.|
|"Laser"||HIPAIM||Improved Hip Spread||Replaced with Laser attachment.|
|"Long-Range"||RANGE||Increase effective weapon range.|
|"RicoChet"||RICOCHET||Grants special ammunition that ricochets off of surfaces.|
|"Rapid Fire"||ROF||Improved Rate of Fire.|
|"Semi Auto"||SEMI||Changes fire mode to semi-automatic.|
|"Skulk"||STANCESPEED||Greater movement speed in crouch and prone while staying silent.|
|"Swapper"||FASTSWAP||Weapon Switch Speed.||Most likely replaced with the Amped perk.|
|"Bolt"||BOLT||Specialty Bolt with improved maneuverability for faster firing.|
|"Xmags"||XMAGS||Improved starting ammo.|
|"GLINTREDUCE"||Glintereduce||Reduces the angle at which enemies will see glint off of sniper scopes.|
|"Hardmelee"||hardmelee||Melee produces greater stun on targets.|
|"Enemytag"||enemytag||Damage will put enemies on the minimap and compass.|
|"Holdbreath"||holdbreath||Extended hold breath|
|"Flinch"||flinch||Increased control of aim while being shot.|
|"Rush"||AdsMove||After each kill, gain a brief boost to movement speed.|
|"Dexterity"||Dexterity||Training enables greater speed in combat.|
The game contains several unused perks. Some perks have names while other only have a description string remaining.
|Thief||Improved speed and distance on melee. Upon landing a successful melee attack, you will receive a copy of the victim's primary weapon.|
|br_thief||When you Harvest, generate 20% more cash.|
|Grenadier||Any throwable equipment you pick up has an extra use.|
|Sneaky||Your Footsteps are invisible, and enemies are not warned when you track them.|
|desc_br_artisan_tastes||Weapons you pick up have a chance to automatically upgrade.|
|desc_br_bounty_hunter||If you kill someone with more Perks than you, gain enough points to match them, and then you can replace this perk.||Audio remains.|
|desc_br_deep_pockets||Any usable equipment you pick up has an extra use.|
|desc_fastslide||Gain increased sliding distance and the ability to ADS while sliding while using less boost meter.|
|desc_powercell||Tacticals and Lethals refresh on cooldowns.|
|demolitions_desc||Carry an extra lethal equipment|
|desc_rugged_eqp||Placed equipment has more health, persists through death, and you can have 1 more active|
|desc_rush||After each kill, gain a brief boost to movement speed.|
|graverobber_desc||Scrap dropped guns to get extra attachments and ammo.^1 Cannot pick up dropped guns.||Audio remains.|
|sonar_desc||Always show the minimap.|
|Hunter||See enemy footprints for a short duration.||Audio remains.|
|mercenary_desc||Earn extra kills towards your killstreaks by killing enemies with bounties. Enemies get a bounty every time they kill three players in a life.|
|Stopping Power||Perk version of the Stopping Power Field Upgrade.|
|Momentum||Increase movement speed|
|Overclock||Payload charges faster.|
|Strong-Arm||Throw equipment farther, decrease the cook time of grenades and reset the fuse when throwing back explosives.|
|Stealth||Perks for enhanced stealth capabilities. Includes: Takedown, Blind Eye, Dead Silence, Incog, and Off the Grid.|
|Equipment||Perks for extra equipment and ammo. Includes: Extra Tactical, Extra Lethal, Fully Loaded, Extra Attachment, and Danger Close.|
Scrapped Pro Perks System
Check if there are any other remnants of this system.
The game contains remnants of a scrapped Pro Perks system where perks could be upgraded to stronger versions, presumably through completing challenges as in other games, although the specific method is not known. Perks appear to start off at a level 1 version that can be upgraded to level 2 and then to Pro.
|desc_tracker_perk||See recent enemy trails, even when they are cloaked.|
|guerrilla_desc_extra||Still appear on killstreak radar when firing a weapon, Detectable by Advanced UAV, but removes direction.|
|desc_br_healer||Your medic items continue to heal for an additional 25% of their value over the next 20 seconds.|
|desc_momentum||Increase movement speed.|
|huntmaster_desc||Enemies leave behind a footprint trail. See markers at enemy death locations and hide the death markers of enemies you kill.||Same as Tracker perk.|
The game contains some unused equipment, some of which appear to have been replaced with Field Upgrades.
|EquipName||Description (if any)||Notes|
|"EMP"||Chaff Grenade||Audio remains and most likely replaced with a Field Upgrade.|
|"desc_equipment_ping"||Placed equipment will alert the player of nearby enemies on the minimap. Thrown equipment will paint enemy targets upon detonation.||Audio remains and most likely replaced with a Field Upgrade.|
Unused Field Upgrades
The game contains remnants of unused Field Upgrades.
|"Ammo drop"||Most likely replaced with munitions.|
|"place_ladder"||Ladder||In early builds of Modern Warfare, it was originally planned that the player could have a personal ladder Field Upgrade.|
|"Self-Revive"||Last stand with no weapon\n^3Field Upgrade^7: Heal your wounds from last stand and get back up||Video remains.|
|"Survivor"||Stay alive longer and earn killstreaks more easily.||Video remains.|
|Killstreak Name||Code name||Description (if any)||Notes|
|"Dead Man's streak"||death_switch||If I go down, I'm taking them with me!||Dead Man's was originally going to be an interactable killstreak.|
|"Emp Drone"||EMPDrone||EMP Drone was originally going to be an interactable killstreak but ended up being a Field Upgrade.||Video remains.|
Unseen Multiplayer Content
- The gore when destroying an opposing player's head also has their eyeballs, which are impossible to normally see. This can be seen in this video (2:32 - 2:42).
Obscure Game Mechanics
Multiplayer contains some game mechanics that, while programmed to occur in-game, cannot be encountered or are so rare they essentially cannot be encountered.
Stun Grenade Destructibility
Teammates in core can destroy friendly Stun Grenades. A video of this can be seen here.
Riot Shield EXP
The Riot Shield has a certain damage threshold that when reached will not award any more EXP for further damage. This threshold is so high that it cannot be reached in a public match.
UAV Vehicle Damage
UAVs can damage helicopters that fly into them, although the specifics are not known. As can be seen in this video (2:26 - 2:39), the helicopter is slightly damaged by being hit by the front of the UAV, then upon flying into its mid body and being rammed by it, loses more than half its health and explodes. Deaths caused by this appear in the killfeed as a suicide. This cannot normally be encountered in-game as there are no situations where it could occur.
Cluster Strike Killstreak Targeting
While the game suggests the Cluster Strike laser can only target areas, it is also capable of targeting the the VTOL Jet and Support Helo even though they are a different class of game entity.
Juggernaut Game Mechanics
The Juggernaut has some unique game mechanics that go unnoticed for different reasons.
- The Juggernaut is able to perform executions. This can be seen in this video.
- The Juggernaut is immune to Ground War helicopter rotors. This can be seen here from 9:54 - 10:06. It isn't apparent whether this is a glitch.
The Juggernaut has a unique detail where it is possible for the music played inside the Juggernaut to be heard by nearby players. While this feature does occur in-game, it is not possible for the music to be heard due to the audio level it is played at being so low and all the other sounds happening in a match drowning it out.
The Juggernaut also has third person animations for turning the music on and off, but these cannot be seen as they are too subtle to normally notice. Switching the music is done via the Juggernaut's right arm flipping a switch on the side of the helmet.
Dumpsters Blocking Fall Damage
Dumpsters in Ground War when fallen on completely block fall damage and only inflict a tiny amount of damage. While this feature is present in-game, there are no situations where it can normally be discovered.
The game contains an early loadscreen image of Rust. In the early image, the middle metal construction is more run down and has cables attached to it that are absent in the final.
|this will stay as temp until we get final screenshots|
Season Name Changes
Originally, each season would have had its own unique name before being changed to just be numbered alone.
- Season 1 - "Broken Arrow Season"
- Season 2 - "Cyber Attack Season"
- Season 3 - "Bio Warfare Season"
- Season 4 - "Home Grown Terrorism Season"
- Season 5 - "Climate War Season"
Home Grown Terrorism was also seen in the Behind the Scenes video done by The Hollywood Reporter.
Cancelled Clan System
Some placeholder menu definitions remain from a planned Clan system to allow players to group together under a common name and emblem. You can access these menus via modding, but it's all placeholder text so don't expect too much.
Assets remain from a planned "Supply Drop" lootbox system that had previously had its existence leaked in September 2019 by a source who had announced a number of later-confirmed details about the game, with glitches making its presence known in the public Beta. The system was ultimately replaced late in development with the Battle Pass system, likely to avoid legislative scrutiny in several countries.
Default Bundle Price
The game contains a default bundle price of 30,000 COD Points that does not normally appear in-game, but can appear if there are problems loading bundle information, as seen here.
Unused Campaign Content
- Fog of War:
- A building at the edge of the map that cannot be entered has a tile floor. It can be entered via a glitch, which is documented here.
- In an inaccessible area beside this building, there are two burning objects that do not display properly. In the same area, there is also an invisible box.
- On "The Wolf's Den", firing bullets crazily around will trigger a unique Game Over message. While this can be triggered in-game, the criteria for encountering it is so obscure that it is virtually impossible to normally encounter. A video of this can be seen here.
Unseen Campaign Content
- On Piccadilly, as the team apprehend the bombers before they detonate the bomb, a civilian near the truck may pull out his phone and start filming, a detail that usually cannot be noticed. When the truck drives away, this same civilian's free arm will hesitate. This can be seen in this video starting at 0:20.
In some levels of the campaign, if the player fails to complete a designated task sometimes an event will happen that will complete the task for them. While most of these "failsafes" can normally be encountered, some normally cannot be encountered at all, often times because they are tied to a task that is virtually impossible to fail.
- On "Fog of War", if the player waits too long to call in the air strike, Hoyt will call it in for them. While this can be triggered in-game, the amount of time it takes is so long it is not possible to normally encounter it.
Different UI Layout
SEASON_CONFIG:'[REDACTED]' TAC_DBG: Undefined anticheat state WARDEN_DBG: Benchmark CPU performance for delayed rogue loads WARDEN_DBG: Initialize hooks TAC_DBG: Hook detection initialization failed PCDEV_GODMODE:'[REDACTED]' TAC_DBG: Injector detection initialization failed WARDEN_DBG: Memory session on sysid seeding failed. Check with Blizzard if that affects unpacking LOOTBOXES_CONFIG:'[REDACTED]' WARDEN_DBG: System bit tag triggered MTX_CONFIG:'[REDACTED]' WARDEN_DBG: Memory page unfolding failed TAC_DBG: Undefined antidebug state TAC_DBG: Cheat detection initialization failed TAC_DBG: Anticheat initialization failed WARDEN_DBG: Make sure the sysid is seeded for the memory session before we call Warden WARDEN_DBG: Generating battle.net UID
Starting at 0x2D9AF80 in ModernWarfare.exe contains a few debug logs including bit.ly links that redirect to the Rickroll video, which have been removed on here. These are also present in the Black Ops Cold War Beta and Black Ops Cold War Pre-Alpha.
- The Akimbo attachment erroneously indicates that it increases movement speed when it does not. This might suggest that this attachment did increase movement speed at some point in development but it was removed.
- Several FSS attachments originally identified the manufacturer as FFS. Given how widespread this discrepancy was, it appears this acronym corresponds to an early name for FSS that Infinity Ward forgot to remove from the game.
- The Lacedaemon bundle describes the "Kopis" JAK-12 blueprint as having dismemberment effects when it does not. This discrepancy suggests the blueprint had this effect at one point during development but it was removed and the description was not updated.
- Shoot House's code name, "mp_m_speed", has some unusual qualities.
- The name seems to indicate it started out as a Gunfight map as it contains the "m" prefix used for all Gunfight maps.
- The code name "speed" seems to suggest the map had a different design or setting at one point in development as it doesn't appear to correspond to the final map, which is set in a shoot house.
- On Fog of War, after Alex is knocked unconscious, when he regains consciousness the game saves the player's checkpoint, despite the player being unable to control their character or die for the rest of the level.
- On Piccadilly, prior to the van exploding the first encountered Al-Qatala fighter is labelled in the subtitles as "Al-Qatala Fighter 3" and the second fighter as "Al-Qatala Fighter 1". It is not apparent why they are not numbered in order of appearance.
Weapon Naming Oddity
Add the rest.
Weapon filenames refer to weapons by their real-world names, but are oddly written in the form of "<first letter of name><NATO phonetic alphabet code word corresponding to second letter><numbers>". It is not apparent why.
|Kilo 141||ar_kilo433 (k433)||HK433|
|Oden||ar_asierra12 (as12)||ShAK-12 (previously called ASh-12.7)|
|AS VAL||ar_valpha (va)||AS Val|
|PP19 Bizon||sm_beta (b)||PP19 Bizon|
|Striker 45||sm_smgolf45 (smg45)||LWRCI SMG-45|
|Origin 12 Shotgun||sh_oscar12 (o12)||Origin-12|
|AX-50||sn_alpha50 (a50)||Accuracy International AX50|
|JOKR||la_juliet (j)||FGM-148 JAVELIN|
For the sections below, add the main content each patch introduced.
Modern Warfare's launch update (Version 1.03) added several future season weapons into the game's files. These include but are not limited to: RAM-7 (with it's cut 9mm Para 60-round Drums Magazine), ISO (named SM_CHARLIE9), Striker 45 (named SM_SMGOLF45), Holger (named LM_MGOLF36), and the Crossbow.
This update also contained a very visually different version of the Damascus camouflage. This version of the camouflage was more of a turquoise blue and black with patterns running through it on different parts of the weapon. Additionally, its coloring matches more closely to its UI Icon, which is currently still used in the game.
|Damascus in launch update||Current Damascus|
|Damascus in launch update||Damascus UI icon|
This update was released on April 8th, 2020. The game contained at this point incomplete attachment data and a description for the unreleased and unnamed Bruen Mk9 LMG, along with possibly other data. The content currently in the game had the following differences from the final release:
- The description lacks the word "gun" in "machine gun".
- The Bruen 18.0" Para attachment lacked the name "Bruen" as the Bruen Mk9 had no name at this point.
- 150 Round Belt and 30 Round Mags are available ammunition attachments, which are unavailable in the final, while 60 Round Mags is not available.
The Reddit post lists some other content that was added.
This update was released on May 19th, 2020. The following unreleased content was added:
- Adds attachments for the CR-56 AMAX. In this update, the XRK Zodiac S440 is called XRK Equinox S440.
- Adds attachments for the unreleased Fennec and attachment icons.
- Adds a name for the unreleased Rytec AMR and a suppressed firing sound. Prior to this, it only had a codename.