Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Windows)
|Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare|
This game has unused areas.
This game has a prototype article
The fourth (technically seventh) game in the series, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare replaces World War II combat stuff with modern (well, modern back in 2007) combat stuff. The intense depiction of modern combat, coupled with a slick framerate and polished multiplayer, made the game a massive hit for future Call of Dutys to come.
Of course, this also meant it was more susceptible to being pried open for unused stuff.
- 1 Sub-Pages
- 2 Alternate Camo
- 3 Unseen Weapon Content
- 4 Unused Weapon Content
- 5 Hidden Level Select
- 6 Longer F.N.G.
- 7 Crew Expendable Enemy Placement
- 8 Unused Cutscene
- 9 Michael Carver
- 10 Failsafes
- 11 Unused Miscellaneous Campaign Content
- 12 Unused Perk
- 13 Unused Graphics
- 14 Regional Differences
- 15 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition
| Unused Mission Objectives and special controls|
There's a lot in here...
| Unused Audio|
Things that were said, but can't be heard in normal gameplay.
| Unused Prefabs|
Unused or old level building assets.
| Missing Audio|
Audio that can be found referenced in the soundaliases but is missing from the files.
| Unused Ordnance|
A lot of unused ordnance.
| Removed Areas|
These are war-free zones, thank you very much!
| Unused Strings|
COD2 dialog and a handful of unused text. Fun!
In the mission The Bog, it is possible to acquire an M21 with a unique camouflage through console commands. Upon further inspection, it appears to be an early version of the Desert camo.
Unseen Weapon Content
- When the Desert Eagle and M9 are hip fired, their slides move back and reveal their ejector slots, which cannot normally be seen due to the speed at which their slides move.
- The MP5's normal magazine has a 2D bullet on it that cannot normally be seen due to the speed of the reload animation.
- The P90 has engraved on the side below the rail "P90 cal 5.7x28", which can only be seen during the first raise animation and empty reload animation but cannot be read due to its placement and the animation being so short.
Unused Weapon Content
While the M249 SAW and RPD do not have any damage drop off in multiplayer, their weapon files still specify damage drop off ranges. Both weapons' damage would start to decrease after 1500 units and hit their minimum damage at 2000 units. These drop off values are different from their values in single player, which are used.
Hidden Level Select
By going into the console and typing
/set developer 1, you can access a hidden menu that allows you to select every level in the game regardless of how far you have progressed in the game. In this menu, it shows every level and the build dates for each level.
|Select Mission||Game Levels|
The original version of F.N.G. was considerably longer, going through the controls and all the game's features. Sadly, it was truncated late in development, but there's a mod that reinstates the original level.
Among the cut content was one part that would have had Sgt. Newcastle teach you how to use grenades, grenade launchers, and C4 - and because F.N.G. was forcibly made shorter, he remains complete and fully functional. A second part would have Mac teach you the basic moving controls in the obstacle course. All of the associated dialogue is still present.
Interestingly, 2016's Modern Warfare: Remastered brings all this back, for some reason.
Crew Expendable Enemy Placement
On Crew Expendable, the first group of Russian soldiers encountered after going inside the ship have unseen behavior. While they are normally encountered all clustered together at the end of a hallway, prior to being encountered one soldier will idly walk around farther up the hallway. This behavior cannot normally be seen as by the time Soap reaches them they are situated at the end of the hallway. This can be seen at 2:20 in this video.
An unused soundless video called dog_vs_player_load, showing a USMC player being killed by a dog at an unknown (possibly unused) location. In the final game, the USMC never encounter dogs in the campaign.
The video also shows an unused USMC first-person model that is completely gone from the game. The blood and gore effects are also very low-quality, likely putting this at an early point in development.
A name that appears in the unused mission strings for the cut levels "Descent", "Training", "Designated Training", and "Designated Marksman". It is possible that he was the US Marine protagonist before Paul Jackson, but he was scrapped along with said missions.
In some levels of the campaign, if the player fails to complete a designated task sometimes an event will happen that will complete the task for them. While most of these "failsafes" can normally be encountered, some normally cannot be encountered at all, often times because they are tied to a task that is virtually impossible to fail.
- On the training level, if the player takes longer than 2 minutes to complete the CQB test the player will die and the mission failed text will read "You were too slow." This cannot normally be encountered as test takes around 20 seconds to complete. A video of this can be seen here.
Unused Miscellaneous Campaign Content
Hidden Water Texture
In various missions, increasing the brightness through console commands reveals that the water texture consists of a texture with numbers in it.
What level is this (see Youtube video)?
An enemy helicopter on a certain level can be destroyed via a grenade. While this can be done in-game, it cannot normally be encountered as it is very difficult to do. This can be seen here.
A scrapped perk where only its icon remains, code name "specialty_exposeenemy".
Unused Create-A-Class Icons
It would seem that the developers originally planned to have the Create-a-Class weapon icons change based on the attachment that the player equipped on it, as the game's files contain a large number of unused Create-a-Class icons for every weapon, each showing the weapon with the attachment connected to it. Some icons have files, but upon opening them the image is blank, indicating that the developers never finished creating these individual icons.
Find the scopes for the Dragunov, R700, and Barrett .50cal.
Due to a programming error, all Sniper Rifles use the M40A3's scope reticle, which leaves several unused scopes in the files.
Also present are all of the faction-specific rifle scope overlay textures from Call of Duty 2 (for the Lee-Enfield, Kar98k, Mosin-Nagant, and Springfield rifles), as well as an unused overlay version of the ACOG scope.
Unused Multiplayer Ranks
Present in the files are 10 unused rank icons for multiplayer.
Most of these are also present in Call of Duty: World at War, but aren't used there either.
For some reason, the German version not only removed the dramatic gore effect upon shooting Zakhaev's hand off in the "One Shot, One Kill" mission, but Arcade Mode is disabled and cannot be unlocked.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition
- The ragtime warfare cheat was replaced with a paintball cheat.
- When using the "A Bad Year" cheat, you must get headshots for enemy corpses to turn into tires.
- There is no voice chat, and hence no Eavesdrop perk.
- Exclusive Squadmate mode for Campaign.
- Some weapons have different reload sounds.
- Variety Map Pack isn't available.
- The game was adapted to the Wii's motion controls, giving the player more control layout options. It also includes the addition of gestures.
- The multiplayer supports up to 10 players instead of 12 in other consoles/PC.
- The font scale is much higher in the Wii version.
- The Wii version displays which profile is signed in at the top-left corner.