Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Windows, PlayStation 2)
|Grand Theft Auto: Vice City|
This game has a hidden developer message.
This game has a bugs page
|Oh dear, I do believe I have the vapors.|
This page contains content that is not safe for work or other locations with the potential for personal embarrassment.
Such as: G-Spotlight images
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the follow up to Grand Theft Auto III, which was released thirteen months after its predecessor. The formula was vastly improved with new weapons, further customization, and an all-star voice cast.
More differences in the Japanese version. Source
- 1 Subpages
- 2 Unused Dialogue
- 3 Filename Oddities
- 4 Earlier Map
- 5 Unused Graphics
- 6 Oddities
- 7 Models and Textures
- 8 Hidden Objects
- 9 Unused Features
- 10 Developer Shout-Out
- 11 Revisional Changes
- 12 Regional Differences
- 13 Developer Messages
- 14 Anti-Piracy
| Unused Audio|
Quite a few scrapped conversations can be found in the american.gxt file.
Dialogue planned for a removed character/mission.
A slightly different version of the opening cutscene.
Additional Mission from Avery Carrington
More Calls from Kent Paul
Two more calls from Kent Paul were cut.
Call no. 1
Call no. 2
The actual text for one of the conversations.
This call should have been used after finishing the Interglobal Films' missions.
Colonel Cortez' Call
An alternate version of the Colonel's conversation following the completion of the main story.
Cam Jones is referenced as "mike" in the files (igmike.txd, mike2.txd, etc.)
An early version of the map of Vice City can be seen at Sunshine Autos. Some of the differences are still present in the LOD's of the islands, most notably the "Ghost Tower", which can be seen before the second island loads while crossing a bridge.
- The Hyman Memorial Stadium and the patch of sand near it are missing
- A large chunk of Washington Beach is missing
- Fort Baxter Air Base was much larger
- The Lighthouse is missing
- The bridge between Little Haiti and the Leaf Links Golf Club is curved
- Viceport has a little inlet of water going into it
- The long road that goes all the way from Viceport to Downtown is cut off early.
Various graphics located in hud.txd never appear in the game.
Icons exist for each station (save for VCN, only depicted as a building) in the game.
In the PlayStation 2 version's menu graphics (FRONTEN2.TXD), there is a logo for a deleted radio station, Vice City News, or VCN for short. It's stored among the logos for the other radio stations that you can tune in on the menu while adjusting audio options. Kenny Loggins was supposed to make a guest appearance on VCN as a host of one of the radio programs.
Leftover news headline from Grand Theft Auto III's intro with the filename of news.txd. Exists only on the Windows version.
|A green house; unused property icon. This icon didn't totally went to waste, though, as it was reused in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.|
|Letter B, standing for Bikers. Not used in favor of a poker spade icon.|
|An unused loading screen from the PlayStation 2 version. Normally, the game does not load long enough to display this image, so it goes unseen.|
A misplaced pedestrian can be seen in the intro cutscene for the mission Messing With the Man.
The Mr.Vercetti suit's ingame and cutscene models have different colors.
If you take a Pony or a Rumpo to a Pay & Spray, the front bumper is flipped backwards for some reason.
Parking your car in the spot shown in the picture (in Ocean Beach) causes it to despawn as soon as you get out of it.
There is a miscolored patch of grass in Ocean Beach near the Pay & Spray. It has no collision, so the player will fall out of bounds if the spot is driven to on a motorcycle.
One of the walls around the Downtown Hospital has no collision and can be driven through.
The end of one of the fences of the mansions on Prawn Island also has no collision.
The side of the bridge leading from Prawn Island to Downtown has no collision as well, and can easily be jumped through. This one can be used to get to the second island earlier than intended.
Models and Textures
Get individual texture sheets for each asset.
- Coastguard Maverick: Helicopter. Only text and handling entry remain.
COASTMAV 3500.0 2.0 5.0 2.5 0.0 0.0 -0.1 75 0.65 0.9 0.5 1 200.0 16.0 4 P 5.0 0.45 0 30.0 5.0 0.1 0.30 0.65 50000 0.50 -0.05 0.5 0.0 8028000 0
- Police Helicopter: Leftover helicopter from GTA III that appeared on an early screenshot. Replaced with VCPD equivalent of Maverick. Handling entry is present.
HELI 25500.0 2.5 7.7 2.9 0.0 0.0 0.0 85 0.58 0.7 0.46 5 140.0 24.0 4 D 10.00 0.45 0 27.0 1.2 0.05 0.2 1.00 10000 0.47 -0.17 0.5 0.0 20000 0 1
- Train: Leftover transportation system from GTA III. Handling entry is present.
TRAIN 25500.0 2.5 7.7 2.9 0.0 0.0 0.0 85 0.58 0.7 0.46 5 140.0 24.0 4 D 10.00 0.45 0 27.0 1.2 0.05 0.2 1.00 10000 0.47 -0.17 0.5 0.0 0 0 1
- Dodo: Leftover Cessna-style plane from GTA III. Replaced with its seaplane brother. Handling entry is present.
DODO 2500.0 1.0 10.0 1.2 0.0 1.0 0.0 75 0.65 0.9 0.5 1 200.0 16.0 4 P 5.0 0.45 0 30.0 5.0 0.1 0.30 0.50 25000 1.25 -0.17 0.5 0.0 48000 0 1
- Kuruma: Leftover vehicle from GTA III. Handling entry is present. Definitely a leftover since it is based on a early 90's sedan in GTA III.
KURUMA 1500.0 1.9 4.9 1.4 0.0 0.0 0.15 75 0.87 0.85 0.48 5 180.0 17.0 F P 7.17 0.55 0 30.0 1.6 0.1 0.24 0.60 18000 0.27 -0.13 0.5 0.0 8002 1 1
- Toyz: Another leftover vehicle from GTA III. Replaced with Top Fun van. Model and texture files are present within the PS2 files, likely as a placeholder, since it is vaguely reminiscent of a 90's van.
- Civillian Patriot: Yet another leftover vehicle from GTA III. The "Civillian"(sic) marking was put there to distinguish the leftover Patriot from the in-game Patriot that is reserved for military use.
These vehicles are referred in the handling.cfg under these names. These suggest late name changes.
|FBI Car||FBI Washington|
|Mafia Cruiser||Sentinel XS|
These vehicles have either model, textures or handling present within the files. They are very similar to existing vehicles, which might be their early names.
|Blista GPX||Blista Compact|
|Mafia Cruiser||Sentinel XS|
Complete the revision of the descriptions for unused weapons.
- Grenade Launcher: Speaks for itself. Removed because it would look out of place. Its model (grenlanc.dff) and textures (grenlanc.txd) are still in the PS2 version of the game.
- Steyr Aug: Its model (steyr.dff) and textures (steyr.txd) can be found as well in the PS2 version.
- AK-47: Weapon from GTA III. Model and textures are present. Its low quality texture implies that it may have been discarded earlier in development.
- Landmines: Model and textures were preserved too in both releases. This weapon would be fully coded, but STILL end up unused in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
- Texture files exist for a cut Tazer gun.
- Silenced Colt: Model (coltsil.dff) and texture (coltsil.txd) are also in the PS2 version.
- Files for the Staplegun are present on the Japanese PS2 version's files.
- Along with the Staplegun, an early version of the shotgun is also present in the Japanese version.
- The model, texture and HUD icon for the Short MP5 are present on the PS2 disc. It can still be seen briefly in the opening cutscene.
- Models for the Uzi and M16 from GTA III. Both have corrupted textures.
- Bus Shelter: Labeled as bustopm.dff. These were meant to be part of the game world. They were most likely cut in mid-development, as they cannot get damaged and have somewhat compressed textures. They were later retextured and reused in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Deformed Kent Paul: Labeled as kentpaul.dff. Self-explanatory. A different model is used.
- Early Ken Rosenberg: Found only in the PC version's files labeled as lawyer.dff & lawyer.txd. Seems to be an earlier look for Ken Rosenberg, without his glasses, different face, and clothing.
- Bonus pickup. As the model suggest, this is a leftover from GTA III, though it was probably meant for the import-export garage in Sunshine Autos, since the garage itself doesn't allow to export the vehicles that were listed on the delivery list.
- Alternate designs for the goons that occupy any asset owned by the player. Interestingly, the Japanese version does use these models.
- The sun-lounger chair used in Asuka Kasen's apartment in Grand Theft Auto III exists in the files and was intended to be used before being replaced with different designs.
- There are three copies of the PlayStation 2 save icon on the disc. For some reason, one of the icons is slightly deformed.
Hidden inside a wall in the Downtown Ammu-Nation is this image of former president Ronald Reagan shooting at Mikhail Gorbachev. Whether or not this was just misplaced, or intentionally hidden is unknown. The only way to see it is to aim a rocket launcher or sniper rifle while standing right next to the wall or using a trainer.
A biker shop called Howling Pete's has an unfinished interior that can be seen by the same methods as the above image.
- Additional clothing labeled as "MC Tommy" is listed in the american.gxt file at MAIN > OUTFT13. Neither models nor textures of this outfit exist.
- Within the same file, tires would have been able to be slashed and recorded into the statistics according to MAIN > TYRESLA.
There is a secret criminal rating for the stats page: "SA Goon". It is only displayed if the player's score is between 1000 and 1005, after which it ticks over to the "Goon" rating. Due to the very small window for it to be achieved, it's nearly impossible to see unless one is deliberately trying for it.
The rating is a reference to the Something Awful Forums, the inhabitants of which are dubbed Goons.
Better screenshots and weapon name changes
Three revisions of the PlayStation 2 version exist, each with various fixes and changes. They are version 1.40, which come in first-print releases of the original game, Version 2.01, which comes with the Double Pack and version 3.00., which are later copies of the video game with some going under the Platinum/Greatest Hits line.
Double Pack release changes
The Trial By Dirt side mission was changed. In 1.40 the rain, Haitians on motorcycles and barrels appear on your first attempt. In 2.01, the barrels appear on your second try, rain appears after you beat your best time and the Haitians appear if you beat your best time again. The stat glitch for the mission was also fixed, along with the Detonator bug and Cherry Poppers save glitch. (see the bugs page).
The song "Running With the Night" by Lionel Ritchie was removed from Flash FM.
The "trails" option now also toggles the rain and blood droplets that appear on the screen.
Some weapons were renamed and their graphics slightly altered, in order to avoid licensing issues, since 1.40 used real-life weapons.
The background music in the opening cutscene for the mission The Driver was changed. It originally featured "In a Big Country" by Big Country.... which wasn't actually featured elsewhere in the game. It was changed to "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five in later releases.
The blur effect for the mission Boomshine Saigon was changed for unknown reasons.
The clothing of the porn actress in the opening cutscene for the mission Recruitment Drive was changed.
Greatest Hits/Platinum re-release changes
The Trial By Dirt stat glitch was rebroken somehow.
Tear Gas was removed due to it's uselessness. The only pickup behind the Washington Beach police station was replaced by regular grenades, to make up for this. However, the weapon remains in the game's code and can be used with a cheat device or a trainer.
3.00 "Haitian-friendly" changes
Due to the controversy surrounding the Haitian community sparking complaints over the video game, almost all references to Haitian and Cubans were removed in Version 3.00. This was also the same for all releases of the Japanese version.
Two Bit Hit
Avery: "Now recently a Haitian gang lord died. Apparently the Cubans did it, nobody's certain. But let's make them certain! You disguise yourself as a Cuban hombre, and head on down to crash that funeral. Mix it up, and then high tail it. You getting this down, Donald?"
Avery: "Now recently a gang lord died. You disguise yourself and head on down to crash the funeral. Mix it up, and then high tail it. You getting this down, Donald?"
"Go get yourself some Cuban gang colors in Little Havana!"
"Go get yourself some gang colors in Little Havana!"
"Take out the Haitian Gang Lord at Romero's Funeral Parlor!"
"Take out the Gang Lord at Romero's Funeral Parlor!"
"Fool! People have to WITNESS a Cuban doing the hit!"
"Fool! People have to WITNESS a gangmember doing the hit!"
Diaz: "Don't just stand there, you pricks, chase that Haitian dickhead down!"
Diaz: Don't just stand there, you pricks. chase that dickhead down!"
Umberto: "The Haitians! I hate these Haitians! They mess with me for the last time!" "These Hai - these Haitians! We take 'em out! Only we need some backup. I lost a few hermanos already out there. Amigo, you drive good!" Tommy: "For a woman. Right?" Umberto: "This is no time for joking! Come on, drive for me again! Take my boys over there, and then we'll take these Haitians down! They mess with me, they mess with the biggest boy in town!"
Umberto: "They mess with me, they mess with me for the last time!" Tommy: "What is your problem?" Umberto: "We take 'em out! Only we need some backup. I lost a few hermanos already out there. Amigo, you drive good!" Tommy: "For a woman. Right?" Umberto: "This is no time for joking! Come on, drive for me again! Amigo, take my boys over there. They mess with me, they mess with the biggest boy in town!"
"Rico: "Hey amigo! Good to see you could make it! Stinking nest of Haitians, we gonna kill 'em all! CHAAAAAARGE!"
Rico: "Hey amigo! Good to see you could make it! CHAAAAAARGE!"
"Little Haiti will be swarming with Haitians trying to even the score with the Cubans. Watch your back."
"Little Haiti will be swarming with rival gangsters trying to even the score. Watch your back!"
"KILL ALL THE HAITIANS!!"
"GET THEM ALL!!"
"Finish off the rest of the Haitians so the Cubans can move forward."
"Finish them off so we can move forward."
Umberto: "Poppa, don't serve this snake in the straw. You're two-faced, Tommy! You're either two-faced, or you're a wimp, baby boy! The Haitians, man. They're laughing at me."
Umberto: "Poppa, don't serve this snake in the straw. You're two-faced, Tommy! You're either two-faced, or you're a wimp, baby boy! They're laughing at me."
"Umberto: "Tommy. You a real man. Businessman, a gentleman. These Haitians. They have a load of product coming in off shore, really good stuff."
Umberto: "Tommy. You a real man. Businessman, a gentleman. They have a load of product coming in off shore, really good stuff."
Gangster: "Uh oh.. Pack of Cubans. We under attack!"
Gangster: "Uh oh... We under attack!"
"KILL ALL THE HAITIANS ON THE BOATS!!"
"KILL ALL THE GANGSTERS ON THE BOATS!!"
Auntie: "Do me these tings, Tommy......The Cubans, nasty proud foofoos, mmm, been making my lovely Haitian boys shake de heads. Now they told the policeman where me been stashing my powders. Dey tink it drugs, them stupid. Now be a good boy Tommy and go and get the powders for Auntie Poulet."
Auntie: "Do me these tings, Tommy......The nasty proud foofoos, mmm, been making my boys shake de heads. Now they told the policeman where me been stashing my powders. Dey tink it drugs, them stupid. Now be a good boy Tommy and go and get the powders for Auntie Poulet."
Auntie: "The Cubans have fast boats they use to cross the seas with drugs. It is their livelihood. Me nephew bin making lickle flying bombs to take dem out. Blow de boats to coffin wood."
Auntie: "Them have fast boats they use to cross the seas with drugs. It is their livelihood. Me nephew bin making lickle flying bombs to take dem out. Blow de boats to coffin wood."
"Kill the Cubans..."
"Kill the Cuban gangsters..."
"The Cubans are making a run for it. Don't let them get away!"
"They are making a run for it. Don't let them get away!"
"One of the Cubans is escaping in a car. Don't leave any witnesses!"
"One of them is escaping in a car. Don't leave any witnesses!"
Auntie: "Hush now. One more ting an I can let you go, Tommy. My boys gone war wit dem Cuban boys. But no guns. Hmm, but de Cubans have a surprise comin'. While they fight in de streets, you take this rifle and kill dem in de hubbub. No one sees you, no one hear you. Now, Tommy, you do this for me, and you no longer tied to my apron strings."
Auntie: "Hush now. One more ting an I can let you go, Tommy. My boys gone war wit dem boys. But no guns. While they fight in de streets, you take this rifle. No one sees you, no one hear you. Now, Tommy, you do this for me, and you no longer tied to my apron strings."
"The Haitians have died!"
"You let too many of your boys die!"
"Haitians are dying! Improve your aim."
"Our boys are dying! Improve your aim!"
Umberto: "Hey, ladies. You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna kill me a Haitian. And then? And then I'm going to make love like a man. You know that, chica? Something like this."
Umberto: "Hey! Heh heh heh...Hey, ladies. You know what I'm gonna do? I'm going to make love like a man. You know that, chica? Something like this."
Umberto: "We gonna take out the Haitians. Tommy, how do you take out a snake? You bite him in the ass! Hahaha!" Tommy: "Whatever you say, Umberto." Umberto: "Tommy, you go and get us a little Haitian car. When you get it, come back and pick up my boy. Pepe, and take him out to the Haitians. Then, you go around to the Haitians processing plant, and you use their solvent as an explosive. Boom! Bye bye!"
Umberto: "Tommy, how do you take out a snake? You bite him in the ass! Hahaha!" "You go and get us a little car. When you get it, come back and pick up my boy, Pepe, and take him out to such and such...their processing plant." Tommy: "Whatever you say, Umberto." Umberto: "Hey Tommy! Tommy! Use their solvent as an explosive. Boom! Bye bye!"
Rico: "Hola, amigos. Oy - the solvent is round the back, amigo. Bueno. Haitian Putas. Muerte. Vamos."
Rico: "Hola, amigos. Oy - the solvent is round the back, amigo. Bueno. Putas. Muerte. Vamos."
"Join the other Cubans at the Haitian Drugs Factory."
"Join the boys over at the Drug Factory."
"Hey, we need a Haitian gang car!"
Phonecall after Death Row
Cortez: Tommy, Thomas, it's Cortez. Look, the French are giving me all kinds of trouble, amigo. Damn hypocrites. They spend a hundred years stealing from poor countries and they call me a thief! I am going to need your help as soon as possible, amigo. So please hurry, Tommy, I need you, alright? I hate the damn French.
Cortez: Tommy, Thomas, it's Cortez. Look, the French are giving me all kinds of trouble, amigo. Damn hypocrites. They spend a hundred years stealing from poor countries and they call me a thief! I am going to need your help as soon as possible, amigo. So please hurry, Tommy, I need you, alright?
10th Anniversary Song Removal Changes
Due to music-licensing contracts becoming expired, several songs had to be removed from digital Steam, PS3/PS4, and iOS/Android releases.
- Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean" (Flash FM)
"Self-Control" by Laura Braningham plays instead when Tommy enters a vehicle for the first time.
- Herbie Hancock - "Rockit" (Wildstyle)
- Tyrone Brunson - "The Smurf" (Wildstyle)
- Michael Jackson - "Wanna be Startin' Somethin'" (Fever 105)
- Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark At The Moon" (V-Rock)
- Kate Bush - "Wow" (Emotion 98.3)
Strangely enough, the Steam version still contains all those songs in the game. It is unknown if it was an error or if Rockstar resolved the music-licensing issues.
Japanese Version changes
The Japanese version had some graphics altered. As mentioned above, this version uses the alternate, normally unused models for the Vercetti goons. In addition, the spotlight for the mission G-Spotlight was censored and the posters and polaroids with Candy Suxxx were replaced by pictures of (rather creepy looking) kittens and flowers.
The opening cutscenes for G-Spotlight and Martha's Mug Shot were edited, too.
Replace with videos
In G-Spotlight, the first few seconds of Candy complaining about not being to swallow "it" were edited out.
In Martha's Mug Shot, Candy's moaning was cut out except for one little bit where she replies to Tommy.
All of the censorship that was carried onto the German version of Grand Theft Auto III remains here, except now the missions Messing with the Man and Dirty Lickin's were removed. Because of the two cut missions and the removal of the rampages, the stats were also edited to match the censored version. This does not apply to the 10th Anniversary Edition or later digital releases, as it now has a USK 18 rating.
In the game's executable are some rather rude messages, with the first two are refers to the some sort of missing animation(s), and the last one rudely tells that there's nothing to find in the executable.
Can't find the fucking animation
Haven't I told you I can't find the fucking animation
nothing here fuckers
An array of anti-crack protections are present in the PC version, although barely anyone noticed them due to a successful crack which avoided them coming out three days before release. If the game detects that the SecuROM copy protection has been tampered with, then a number of fascinating after-effects have a chance of triggering:
- Upon the "mission clean-up" op-code running (usually when a mission starts or finishes) there is a 25% chance of the weather being permanently changed to rain. This is saved into your savegame, so you can't avoid it by restarting the game. (The APLEASANTDAY cheat code and starting certain missions still work, though)
- When a save game is loaded that has less 72,000 frames (roughly 40 minutes) of play time logged, then all paths will be removed from the map, resulting in no pedestrians or vehicles spawning outside of scripts like missions. Again, this is saved into the save file, so it'll still be in effect even when loaded in a legit version of the game.
- Loading a save with more than that amount of frames logged crashes the game with an unhandled exception error on load.
- Sniper Rifles no longer do any damage, although they still effect the moon.
- After 35 minutes of play time, all garages are disabled. This renders the "Copland" and "Sir Yes Sir!" missions unwinnable. Pay & Sprays remain open, but won't recolour your vehicle.
- Whenever a police roadblock is spawned, all icons are removed from the map, map legend and minimap (including your position arrow!)
- The stats menu simply won't display anything. You can still press S to save your stats to a file.
- Finally, there's a 12.5% chance that a firetruck spawning will disable the ability to use non-mission, non-cash pickups, such as the save icon, hidden packages, rampages, weapons, properties (rendering the game unwinnable)...
|The Grand Theft Auto series|
|Windows||Grand Theft Auto • Grand Theft Auto 2|
Grand Theft Auto: London 1969
|Game Boy Color||Grand Theft Auto 2|
|Game Boy Advance||Grand Theft Auto Advance|
|Windows||Grand Theft Auto III • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas|
|PlayStation 2||Grand Theft Auto III • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories|
|PlayStation Portable||Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories|
|iOS / Android||Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas|
|Windows||Grand Theft Auto IV • Grand Theft Auto V|
|PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360||Grand Theft Auto IV • Grand Theft Auto V|