Super Puyo Puyo
|Super Puyo Puyo|
This isn't Puyo Puyo, this is Super Puyo Puyo! What makes it so Super, you may ask? Well, it being on the Super Famicom and... not much else, actually (especially compared to the SFC port(s) of its sequel). This game would later be given a new code of pink paint and released in the west as Kirby's Avalanche, just like what happened to the Genesis port with its significantly less pink code of paint.
Hold A + B + X + Y on controller 2 when turning on the game to expand the options menu and unlock an additional Zusin option and "Special Custom" menu.
Using the Pro Action Replay (PAR) code 80FFF002 will unlock the above and add even more options to the Special Custom menu. Interestingly, two of these options activate gameplay features that would be introduced in the sequel Puyo Puyo Tsuu, released the following year!
- Fall Puyo: How much garbage will be sent to the opponent's side upon clearing Puyo from the board. Available options are (With the corresponding Price values in brackets) Minus (A0), Normal (46), Plus (32), Panic (1E) and Hurry (00).
- Mode: Exit the option menu while holding L to go to the selected game mode.
- Stage: Level select. Self explanatory.
- CPU Player: Choose AI for the demonstration and Mode menu.
- Time Disp: Display CPU meter on-screen.
- Link Volm: Number of connected Puyo needed to clear them.
- Hard: If set to Special, then instead of normal garbage Puyo, the game will drop garbage Puyo that require two clears, just like the Hard Puyo introduced in Puyo Puyo Tsuu. Notably, its design is completely different from the Tsuu Hard Puyo (Or any Puyo design in the series, for that matter), being a blue rock Puyo (the icon used to represent five rows of garbage Puyo on the nuisance queue) with devil horns.
- Sousai: The offset rule, a defining staple of every Puyo Puyo game since Tsuu, technically debuted here! Or at least an incomplete version of it: it only takes away garbage from your board; you cannot transfer it to the opponent's board like in Tsuu and onward.
- Price: Same as Fall Puyo, but allows you to set the exact hex value.
- Ojama Score: Score received when clearing garbage Puyo.
- Hi Speed: Not working?
All of these options are avaliable in Kirby's Avalanche as well.