Tetris (DOS, AcademySoft)
Developer: Vadim Gerasimov
This game has hidden developer credits.
This game has a prototype article
The 1986 DOS Tetris is one of the earliest versions of the game, and is currently the oldest version covered on this site - unless something unused is discovered in the Electronika-60 version.
Alternate Save Keys
At the bottom of the setup screen is the message "Press SPACE to start, INS to save setup". There are three keys that have the latter function: INS, R, and 0. The latter two keys aren't documented anywhere, and it's very difficult to discover without disassembly (as saving gives no audiovisual indication of success).
|Version 1.0||Version 3.12|
The title screen became slightly fancier in newer versions, gaining an outline around the game's name. The color cycling also affects the whole title screen in v3.12, rather than just the logo in v1.0. In addition, a trademark symbol was added and the R was touched up.
- Internally speaking, v1.0 is a .com file and v3.12 is an .exe file.
- v1.0 uses Σ (sigma) to show the sum. This was changed to "Sum" in v3.12, likely because the Greek letter didn't show up properly with some encodings.
- v3.12 added a pause key.
- v1.0 lacked the function that made it so the game's speed was consistent on any machine; v3.12 added that function.
- The score is shown in brown in v1.0 and yellow in v3.12.
- v1.0 only allowed the player to set their level. A new setup screen was added to v3.12. It also added the option to set how much garbage the player starts with. Phantom mode was also added here.
A small Easter egg was added in v3.12. When the "game over" message appears, press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+D to display a copyright message at the top of the screen:
(C) A.Pajitnov V.Gerasimov
Unlike the other text in the game, this message is XOR-encrypted to prevent tampering.
Cleanup > Pages missing date references
Cleanup > Pages missing developer references
Cleanup > Pages missing publisher references
Games > Games by content > Games with hidden developer credits
Games > Games by content > Games with revisional differences
Games > Games by developer > Games developed by Vadim Gerasimov
Games > Games by platform > DOS games
Games > Games by publisher > Games published by AcademySoft
Games > Games by publisher > Games published by Elorg
Games > Games by release date > Games released in 1986
Games > Games by series > Tetris series