Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (Windows)
|Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Also known as: Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim is the first new adventure for Adol since the release of Ys V in 1995, where he's washed ashore on the Canaan Islands. It notably introduced a new engine, commonly referred to as the "Napishtim Engine", that was refined for the two following titles, The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin.
Konami later ported the game to PS2 and PSP with bonus content, though the PC version is still generally regarded as the definitive version for its solid performance and visual style.
| Unused Maps
Adol adventures to the hidden waifu rooms.
An inventory portrait image of Emelas is present in the MENU\ICON2 folder. It goes unused since Emelas cannot be selected as an inventory item.
Unused Objects and Models
A caution sign that appears in test map S_9011.
A cube with text on each face. Found in test map S_9011.
Kiiro (Japanese for "Yellow") is an unused character that only appears in test map S_9100. She has a full set of sprites and a face portrait, but she was never utilized in the main game.
Her name was found on her script file for S_9100 named TALKKIIRO.XSO.
A couple of placeholder sound effects can be found with multiple duplicates in the /WAVE folder.
|An evil laugh.
|A telephone ringing; something that doesn't exist in the world of Ys.
Check if there are more differences between the limited and standard editions.
Ys VI was initially released as a limited edition. Reprints of the game were released as a standard edition with additional features.
- In response to players thinking the game was too easy, Hard and Nightmare difficulties were added.
- Time Attack mode was added.
XSEED added several quality-of-life features when they released the game on Steam in 2015.
- Optional widescreen support was added (the original version stretched the screen when played in 16:9 resolutions). Since the game was not designed for widescreen, previously offscreen details can sometimes be seen.
- The Wing of Alma was altered to enable fast-traveling to any save point. If desired, its old functionality can be re-enabled as a hidden feature in the game's configuration file found in the Saved Games folder.
- In ys6_win.ini, under the [Game] section, set OldAlmaWing=1 to restore its original functionality.
- Catastrophe mode was added as an alternate game mode with the following differences:
- Healing items are used immediately and cannot be stocked, as in The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin
- Treasure chests that contained healing items are replaced with Capla Water.
- Capla Water no longer heals HP, but will still cure status ailments and max out the magic gauge.
- Croix's Wares in Port Rimorge has all healing items replaced with stat-boosting seeds that can be bought at a high price.
- Steam leaderboards for Time Attack mode was added.
- Achievements have been implemented.