Proto:Donkey Kong Country (Game Boy Color)
This page details one or more prototype versions of Donkey Kong Country (Game Boy Color).
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
This appears to be a prototype of the kiosk demo?
A kiosk demo of the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country was found in the September 9th, 2020 Nintendo leak, along with several other Game Boy and Game Boy Color ROMs. The ROM name is CGBBDYE0.326. The final game uses "BDD" as for the first three digits of the product code, not "BDY".
Listed on the official release spreadsheets as "DONKEY KONG COUNTRY (DISPLAY)", with a release date of barely one month before the final release.
|Prototype||Final USA/Europe||Final Japan|
|DKC DISPLAY||DK COUNTRY||DKC 2001|
- Only Adventure and Options can be selected.
- The options menu in the prototype has an extra option with Diddy Kong's head not found in the final game. It has five settings: TITLE 1 through TITLE 5. Changing it doesn't appear to have any effects.
- The options to toggle DK Barrels and Star Barrels on and off are unlocked by default.
- Selecting Sound Test doesn't mute the menu music.
The water on the overworld map screen is slightly different.
- Sticker packs are much smaller in the prototype. They were likely made larger so that they'd be more noticeable on the Game Boy Color's small screen.
- The game automatically soft-resets after you defeat Very Gnawty.
To access these menus, enable the GameShark code while in the options menu and press B and you'll appear in the menu. Disable the code afterwards so that the menu functions properly.
Gameshark code: 01026E09.
- The Bonus menu is missing the View Items option.
- Selecting either Funky Fishing or Crosshair Cranky will take you to an unfinished version of Funky Fishing. The graphics and sound are very broken, no fish spawn and the timer never expires. There's also no way to exit without reseting.
- Selecting Hi-Score will take you to an unfinished version of the Galleon Gunner level in Crosshair Cranky. There's no way to win or lose but you can pause and exit.
Gameshark code: 01036E09.
- Appears to be identical to the final game but there's no way to start up a linked game.
Gameshark code: 01046E09.
- Identical to the final game.