Proto:Pac-Man World 2 (Game Boy Advance)
This page details one or more prototype versions of Pac-Man World 2 (Game Boy Advance).
This prototype is documented on Hidden Palace.
A very unfinished prototype of the GBA Pac-Man World 2 was first documented in 2018 and publicly dumped in 2021. The cartridge label is dated April 15 (presumably 2005, since the game was released on August 19 of that year).
Much more, particularly with graphics.
- All of the music is taken from the original Pac-Man World.
- Power Pellets do not seem to function, and eating one has no effect on the Ghosts.
- There are some slight color differences. For instance, some graphics' shadows have pure-black spots (particularly in the cutscenes), while in the final game they are more subdued.
- The credits screen text is the same as Pac-Man World (and still calls the game as such).
- No passwords appear upon completing a level; however, all of the levels are unlocked from the start anyway.
- Pressing B on the password screen will cause the game to softlock.
The logo and font on the title screen were completely redone in the final.
The password screen lacks the wooden border, and has a second "OK" symbol in place of the underscore ("_").
The map screen is very different, featuring unique (and rather incomplete) graphics. The map's path itself is also different between versions.
Pac-Man's graphics have significantly lighter shading than the final version. The backgrounds are also different, though the grass and other ground-bound objects are mostly untouched.
Some of Pac-Man's sprites (such as him swimming, hanging/balancing off of a ledge, etc.) are taken from Pac-Man World, presumably as placeholders. All of the Fruits, along with the Tokens at the end of each level, are lifted from the first game as well.
Objects like the wooden crates, switches, and doors are much less detailed in the prototype.
The Pac-Cubs and Pac-Bears are...well, very basic. (canned laughter) Outside of having a front and back angle, they have no frames of animation. They also explode into bones for some reason, as opposed to balls of fur in the final.
The Pac-asites are equally as basic.
- Professor Pac-Man is not standing in front of the archway.
- In the opening area, the player can walk off the left and right edges of the screen. Doing so will result in Pac-Man losing a life.
The Bear Basics
The first ledge is made of a gray hay-like material. The final changed this to grassy material.
The prototype has a rock between the first two pillars, though interacting with it doesn't seem to do anything.
There is a very glitchy RGB enemy behind the banana-locked crate, who is not present in the final.