Mega Man V
|Mega Man V|
Also known as: Rockman World 5 (JP)
This game has hidden development-related text.
Mega Man V is the last Game Boy Mega Man game, and the only one with Super Game Boy functionality. It's also the only one to feature all new bosses instead of recycled robot masters.
- 1 Debug Content
- 2 Alternate Neptune Stage Palette
- 3 Unused Music
- 4 Regional Differences
A debug mode is located in the game. Use the Game Genie codes C55-0CF-2AA+045-0DF-E6B to access it via soft-reset button combination (A + B + Select + Start). It's largely the same as the Mega Man IV menu (both games were made by the same team), with some additions.
- C1-C4 are the crystals in the latter four Robot Masters' stages.
- CL is the Grab Attack.
- MH is the Magnet Hand.
- PG is the Power Generator.
- MSGNO displays texts by ID. When message is over, "END" message appears on the screen.
- NRB - unk.
Miscellaneous Debug Text
The following text seems to be for debugging purposes, but it isn't actually used anywhere. Text starts at 0x4036A in the ROM. Similar debug routines may be found in the previous version of this game.
ALL 0 DMON MINI DMON MAX KOUHAN MINI KOUHAN MAX EART MIN EART MAX
Alternate Neptune Stage Palette
|Normal Palette (Stage ID #4)||Alternate Palette (Stage ID #11)|
Stage ID 11 is a duplicate of Neptune's stage's interior. The only difference is the SGB palette. This alternate palette is used nowhere else in the game.
Presumably you were meant to warp here from the exterior part of Neptune's stage, but the final version has the exterior and interior parts under the same stage ID.
This game contains a whopping 6 unused tracks! Unlike Mega Man IV, these don't appear to be variants on used tracks. There's also one track that's never heard in its entirety. Game Genie codes ??0-BAB-3B3 + 11D-18E-4C2 will play any song ID at the title screen.
Another take on the music used after Wily Star explodes. ID 74
This track originates from Mega Man IV, where it's used after defeating Wily. It's probably included here as a placeholder for the new fanfare. ID 71
A short dramatic sting, this is another track taken directly from Mega Man IV. ID 5B
This track is used five times in the game (I.E. when Mega Man first goes to space, when he heads for the Wily Star, during the transition between the giant hands and Dr. Wily, during the transition between Dr. Wily and Sunstar, and during Mega Man's escape from the Wily Star), but the last 18 seconds are never heard during normal play, nor does it ever get a chance to loop. ID 63
A song of unknown purpose placed immediately after the alternate fanfare by ID. ID 75
Unused Stage Track #1
A discarded track for a normal stage. This is sandwiched with the first four Robot Master tracks. Given its placement, and the position of Venus' final track as the last music piece by ID, this might have been the original theme for that stage. ID 5F
Unused Stage Track #2
Another unused track for a normal stage, this one is placed with the last four Robot Master tracks. Given this placement, it's possible this theme was intended for a mini-stage prior to Terra's boss battle, as was the case with Punk and Ballade. In the final game, selecting Terra brings you to a one-screen arena where only the boss music is heard. ID 66
- Mercury's weapon is known as the Grab Buster internationally, but the Snatch Buster in Japan. It's possible this was done due to "snatch" also being a slang term for the female genitalia, even though there's absolutely no risk of confusing the meaning here (and considering the weapon's function is to steal energy from enemies, the Japanese name is more accurate anyway).
- As per his name change, "Right Lab" was altered to "Light Lab" on the screen after getting a new weapon.
- The leader of the Stardroids is named Earth in Japan and Terra elsewhere. However, his weapon, the Spark Chaser, is labeled EA (instead of TE) on the HUD and the pause menu in all regions.
- The final boss's name was changed from Sungod to Sunstar outside Japan, presumably because of Nintendo's policies on religious content at the time.