This game has unused graphics.
This game has a development article
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
The game that inspired an entire generation of city planners, utility plant supervisors, and other thankless bureaucrats.
Load or start a new city, then choose END from the Save/Load menu. When the "See you soon!" screen appears, press Left, A, Right, Y, Up, B, Down, X, Select, Start, Start, Select, R, R, L, L on Controller 2.
Press Up or Down to scroll through the options, and press Left or Right to toggle them on or off. To activate the selected features, change MEMORY to SET and reset the SNES (they will remain active even if you power off). To deactivate everything, go back into the menu, change MEMORY to CLR, and press B.
The "K. IS" indicates that it is from staff member Kazuyuki Ishihama.
The debug functions are as follows:
- Sound Test: Exactly what it says. Press Left or Right to browse through the songs and B to play them.
- No Disasters: Also self-explanatory. Turn this on to prevent any disasters from happening (may not work in the scenarios).
- Needless Money: Turn this on to build anything you want without having to pay for it. Won't work on things you don't have enough money to build normally.
- Valve Max: Turn this on to max out the demand for residential, commercial, and industrial zones. (The SimCity source code refers to demand for each type of zone as a "valve".)
- Water Reclaim: Turn this on to enable the ability to bulldoze the map's water.
Alternate French "Please Wait"
In the compressed graphics at offset 0x0460EB in the French version are two copies of "Please Wait...". The first one is used, while the other (in a different style of font) isn't.
The police are indicated by "Pol" in the French version, as “PD” is an offensive French slang term for a gay man.
The Japanese and European versions play this slightly gloomy-sounding track upon opening the Budget screen. The US version continues to play the city's current background music, though the track is still present in the ROM. It's unknown why this was changed.
BS SimCity Machizukuri Taikai
|This game is defunct.|
Do note the game no longer works at all without modifications. This is most likely due to the game's servers being shut down. As a result, further official developments with the game are unlikely to happen.
|...But does it make sense?|
The translations on this page need to be proofread. If you are fluent enough in this language, please
In August 1996, a special version of the game was broadcast exclusively to Japan through the Super Famicom's Satellaview system titled BSシムシティまちづくり大会 (BS SimCity Machizukuri Taikai, lit. "BS SimCity Town Planning Competition").
The game features a 1-hour time limit and a calm jazz soundtrack. The game has no artificial disasters. Thermal power generation was abolished, and instead adds "文" marked school. "文" (Bun) is actually the map icon of a school in Japan.
A dump of the third broadcast version was eventually found and released in June 2019.
Maps and Scenarios
This game contains these maps and scenarios:
- First broadcast (August 4-9, 1996): Blank map
- Second broadcast (August 11-16, 1996): Blank map
- Third broadcast (August 18-23, 1996): Switzerland Bern
- Fourth broadcast (August 25-30, 1996): USA Detroit
Bern and Detroit were the same scenarios as in the standard version.
Aside from Dr. Wright, three new advisers were added: Madame Marie, Roy, and Yoshio Kanetake. Kanetake specifically was an employee of Peach Bank.
The control panel has 3 icons:
- Microphone icon: Watch map, change tax rate.
- Dr. Wright icon: Get advice from Dr. Wright.
- Glass icon: Watch building details.
New Timer Events
- A volcano erupts and the land rises.
- Gift "Expo".
- Gift from sister cities.
- ポリスタイム (Police time): Construct P.D. at half price.
- グリーンタイム (Green time): Construct park at half price.
New loan system:
- It can set the sum to borrow, or repay.
- But when finished game, decrease population according to debt.
As with many Satellaview games, the advisors in BS SimCity were voiced.
- Dr. Wright - 依田英助 (Eisduke Yoda)
- Madame Marie - 久末絹代 (Kinuyo Hisasue)
- Yoshio Kanetake - 関根正明 (Masaaki Sekine)
- Roy - 垂木勉 (Tsutomu Tareki)
These images seem to be some of the only ones available of the game, although they are at a very poor resolution.