The Final Fantasy Legend
more version revisions for the Japanese version
Towers and chainsaws: these are the things The Final Fantasy Legend is known for. (Don't let the English title fool you; it's actually part of the SaGa series.)
| Translation Differences|
A lot of changed and truncated text.
Unused Gun Tile
This Gun tile exists within the text characters of the North American version, but is completely unused by the game.
Hold for a few seconds Down, Start, and B for the North American version or Left, Start, and B for the Japan version, then release. Note how the options are placed vertically in the Japan version, like in the title.
In the Japanese v1.0 the ability Sing (utagoe) plays the Music 16 song (as listed in the sound test) and has the effect to confuse all the enemies. However, in the Japanese v1.1 and the North American version does nothing due to a bug, also leaving Music 16 unused outside of the sound test.
Area 0x87 is unused. It uses the same map layout for areas 0x7D, 0x7E, and 0x80. It can be accessed by exiting a town building after activating the 0187C2CC GameShark code.
It has solid black border and there are no random battles nor event objects. The background music is Music 2, as listed in the sound test.
- The game title and publisher are different.
- The "START" and "CONTINUE" options were placed horizontally in the North American version in order to fit them below the larger title graphic.
- The title screen is not animated in the North American version.
| Japanese v1.0,
The copyright character has an extra pixel in the Japanese v1.0 and North American releases.
Bugs Introduced in the North American Version
- The sentence "YOU CAN'T USE THE ITEM" that indicates that there are no available items or attacks during a battle is overly long, resulting in wrapping the text out of the window.
- The sentence "He don't leave" that indicates that you can't replace a living party member wraps unnecessarily after the "He" and "don't" words, resulting in the word "leave" being hidden.
- The Glass Sword is an extremely powerful weapon that was intended in the original game to break after one use. For North American audiences, the weapon was instead given 50 uses before it would break.
- Similarly, Excalibur and Masamune have infinite uses in the original but 50 in the North American version.
- The credits text was omitted entirely in the North American version for unknown reasons, resulting in a lot of long, awkward pauses during the game's ending sequence.
|The SaGa series|
|Game Boy||The Final Fantasy Legend • Final Fantasy Legend II • Final Fantasy Legend III|
|SNES||Romancing SaGa • Romancing SaGa 2 • Romancing SaGa 3|
|PlayStation||SaGa Frontier (Prototype) • SaGa Frontier II|
|Nintendo DS||SaGa 3 Jiku no Hasha: Shadow or Light|