Proto:Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System, Game Gear)
From The Cutting Room Floor
This page details one or more prototype versions of Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System, Game Gear).
|This article has just been started and needs the article basics added.|
Help us out and
Porting from one system to another can be tough, as can be seen with the Game Gear prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog.
|Download Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear, Prototype)
File: Sonic 1 proto.zip (info)
- There is no Sega logo in the beginning, as with the Master System version.
- Sonic is placed further right at level startup.
- Sonic's palette changes to a darker blue when passing the end-of-Act sign.
- A strange strip appears at the top of the level briefly, probably a glitch as touching it does nothing.
- The invincibility stars are more similar to the Master System version. The final Game Gear game has four stars.
- Sonic's sprites are nearly identical to the Master System version, with some minor palette alterations.
- Various things have yet to be added to accommodate the smaller screen size, such as warning signs near spike pits.
- The map layout is slightly different compared to the other versions.
- The mountain range has a similar hue to the Master System version.
- The Game Over screen is messed up due to some tile rearrangement.
- The credits are still in the ROM. Aside from a messed-up palette, it's 100% identical to the Master System version.
- Green Hill Act 1 is the only playable stage without hacking. To play Green Hill Act 2, go to offset 155FE and change C4 to B6.
- Using level modifier codes, it's possible to play other stages, but most either crash, are empty, or are missing their art.