If you've blocked our ad, please consider unblocking it.
We promise it isn't annoying. No flash, no sound, ever.
Sonic & Knuckles
|Sonic & Knuckles|
This game has unused areas.
This game has a prototype article
Sonic & Knuckles is a stand-alone expansion pack from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 that is a good game in its own right, but when combined with Sonic 3 becomes what could arguably be the best Sonic game ever.
The level select can be accessed by starting the game and grabbing one of the lifts in Mushroom Hill Zone. Once you have grabbed a lift, press Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Up, Up, Up. If done correctly, you should hear a ring chime.
When paused, you can perform the following actions:
- A - Return to title screen
- B - Play at half-speed
- C - Advance by one frame
Press Start to pause, then A to return to the title screen. At the title screen, press A + Start to access the level select. From there, you can press C to choose between Sonic (01) and Knuckles (03) only, and trying to select Sonic & Tails (00) or Tails (02) will give you Sonic alone. The Sonic 3 zones are also listed here, but choosing any of them will redirect you to Mushroom Hill. Entries in the sound test which will normally have songs only heard in Sonic 3 are empty and unplayable.
Notes about the levels:
- Lava Reef Act 3 goes to the boss room. Knuckles cannot select this level.
- Lava Reef Act 4 goes to Hidden Palace Zone. Each character goes to their respective entrance in the level.
- Sky Sanctuary Act 1 is Sonic's level and Act 2 is Knuckles'. Sonic cannot go to Knuckles' level and vice-versa.
- Knuckles can enter Death Egg, but he cannot defeat the Act 1 boss (he cannot jump high enough to hit the boss in the first phase).
- If Sonic beats The Doomsday Zone, the bad ending will play if you don't have all the Chaos Emeralds.
- The Doomsday Act 2 leads to the final boss of Death Egg. If Knuckles defeats the boss, the game will reset to the SEGA screen.
- Knuckles cannot enter either level of The Doomsday.
- Bonus 1 goes to the Glowing Spheres game. Bonus 2 goes to the Slot Machine game. Finishing each stage will restart it.
See if there's any leftovers of the Sonic 3 zones. Probably a longshot, but hey...
Debug mode cannot be unlocked by normal means. It can only be unlocked using two means:
- By using the Game Genie code RFTT-A6XW, then pressing A + Start on the title screen or when in the level select.
- By utilizing a glitch in Sonic 3 & Knuckles whereby placing a long string of "S" monitors in a row using Debug Mode, followed by spindashing into them, will cause the game to crash with a garbled screen. Pressing the Start button on this screen will load Sonic & Knuckles with level select and debug mode enabled. Using the Wii Virtual Console's "Lock-on Menu", it is shown that the game still thinks that it's locked on to Sonic 3.
When in debug mode there you can enter both normal and edit mode in-game. Normal mode is similar to normal gameplay but with added debug features while edit mode is a mode where you can place objects anywhere in the level.
When in normal mode:
- Press A to reverse gravity (reaching the top of the level will kill you as if you fell off a bottomless cliff).
- Press B to enter edit mode.
- Press B + C to play through all the frames of the current characters' animations. (May work in edit mode, needs testing!)
When in edit mode:
- The coordinates of the current object are shown by the top line of hex digits in the HUD.
- The coordinates of the current viewport are shown by the bottom line of hex digits in the HUD.
- Press A to cycle forwards through the object list.
- Press A + C to cycle backwards through the object list.
- Press B to enter normal mode.
- Press C to place the current object shown.
You can use debug mode to enter any level a character would normally not be able to enter (see above), though in some cases this causes player sprites to become corrupted.
Entering edit mode during some parts of the game (such as the light tubes in Death Egg) will crash the game.
8th Special Stage
If Sound Test is enabled, and any of the Special Stage options is selected, Sonic or Knuckles is taken to the 1st Special Stage. The end of it however, spawns a Yellow Super Emerald. This is when the special stage is marked as clear, but the normal Chaos Emerald amount doesn't rise. The Super Emerald amount will rise, but it has pretty much no effect due to Super Emeralds being unobtainable. This bug will allow access to a hidden Special Stage and allow for the 8th Emerald to be collected once the other six have, though.
It is also possible to access this Special Stage by enabling Debug Mode above, then setting the Sound Test selection to 07 and pressing A + Start while selecting any of the Special Stage options.
Somebody see if it's okay to upload the Tails in S&K savestate from Sonic Retro up here.
As with Knuckles being unavailable in Sonic 3 but with a few leftovers, Tails is not available in this game. Unlike Knux in Sonic 3, however, he is in actual playable form! Unfortunately, most of his sprites are missing.
If the PAR code FFFF09:02 is used in Sonic & Knuckles, Tails will be usable, but just about every sprite of his except the transformation sprite will be missing, basically rendering him invisible (unlike when a savestate is used; a different, glitchy sprite is used in place of Tails' original one). There are four exceptions:
- Tails' sprites used at the end of Sky Sanctuary Zone to run around the collapsing pillar are actually stored in the S&K ROM, and therefore are visible. The same sprites are also used in the same context in Lava Reef Zone.
- Tails' hanging sprites from Sky Sanctuary are also visible.
- Tails hanging onto the mushroom paragliders in Mushroom Hill Zone.
- In Tails' bad ending, you can see him normally when he and Sonic fly away from the island.
Hidden Palace's Hidden Area
There's a hidden area in Hidden Palace Zone that is only accessible by debug mode or having Tails in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Just before entering the inside of Hidden Palace, fly from the two steps left until a ledge is reached. Walk left and six power-up monitors will appear, mostly shield monitors (Ring, Bubble, Fireball). In some of the S&K prototypes, an "S" monitor is present instead of the Speed Shoes.
If you run right, leap off the ledge, and keep running right you will find two Ring monitors and a 1-up monitor. (video)
|Super Sonic slot machine panel||Reel image for the slot machine bonus stage. Never used in-game.|
|F-ball||An unused gumball intended for the glowing spheres bonus stage. It can be placed in debug mode, but does nothing.|
|S-ball||An unused gumball found in the glowing spheres bonus stage.|
|Platform||An unused platform intended for the glowing spheres bonus stage. It can be placed in debug mode, and stood on.|
|Death Egg Hologram Projector||A machine that displays a hologram of the Death Egg, a reference to Star Wars. It can be found by hex-editing a savestate of Death Egg Act 2. At address A500 replace 01 with E5, and the most northwestern piece will change to this.|
|Slot machine pocket||This object has no functionality and acts like a solid block. It is found in the Slot Machine Bonus Stage with an object ID of 09.|
|Hei Hou pieces||A set of unused sprites for the Mushroom Hill mid-boss can be found in the Sub-Boss object data. Some sprites have minor differences from the final version. The body and head are displayed as separate sprites here, unlike the final version of the boss.|
|Egg Golem piece||A kind of "screw" that should complete the body of the Egg Golem, the boss of Sandopolis Zone Act 2, is not present, but its sprite is loaded and the object has a sub-value to load it.|
|LRZ2 Stepping Stone||A lava stepping stone for Lava Reef Zone Act 2. Though stepping stones appear in Act 1, they do not appear anywhere in Act 2, thus this Act-specific sprite goes unused. It can be placed in debug mode.|
A short "Game Clear" jingle heard by playing sound 32 in the Sound Test. Though Sonic 3 used this sound ID for its own jingle played after defeating the final boss, it isn't used in Sonic & Knuckles at all. A longer version of this jingle can be heard at the end of the credits medley, though.
Lava Reef Zone Act 1
There are three empty bonus rooms in Lava Reef Act 1. They appear to have been used to hold Special Stage rings at some point in development. Inside, there are tunnels that would have allowed you to enter and exit them, except that they have been blocked off by invisible solid objects. The locations are as follows:
- To the right of the first Spin Dash elevator at coordinates 09C005C0.
- To the right of the Spin Dash elevator encountered after the driller badnik, at coordinates 13C00740.
- Beneath the crushers on the top path shortly after Sonic's path splits into two, at coordinates 21400540.
Death Egg Zone Act 1
At the top of the first wide conveyor belt elevator sequence in the Act is a hidden room containing two ring monitors and an invincibility. However, the corridor leading to the room is completely blocked off by spikes, making the room impossible to get into without Debug Mode.
Flying Battery Zone Act 1
There are two yellow springs buried in the ground near the first giant purple tube.
Death Egg Zone Act 1
There are three rings placed in the floor under the first black antigravity ball. It is possible to collect these rings by returning to this point with a Lightning Shield.