Proto:Sonic & Knuckles
This page details one or more prototype versions of Sonic & Knuckles.
Check the remaining prototypes for any other notable differences.
Leaked on February 23, 2008 by drx, these prototypes were part of a huge package filled with prototypes from Sega of America from around 1994-95. Dated after Sonic the Hedgehog 3, these prototypes offer a look behind the scenes at the game's development.
| Sonic 3C 0408|
Dated April 8, 1994. Early build of an unreleased version of Sonic 3, while many things were still being implemented.
| Sonic 3C 0517|
Dated May 17, 1994. Just before the "Limited Edition" Sonic 3 was canceled, one last prototype was made.
| Sonic and Knuckles 0525|
Dated May 25, 1994. Differs from the other Sonic & Knuckles prototypes in that it is already locked-on to Sonic 3.
| Sonic & Knuckles 0606|
Dated June 6, 1994. This was when S&K was 98% finished, leaving behind very few differences from the final game.
| Sonic & Knuckles 0608|
Dated June 8, 1994. One of the last prototype builds, with only a handful of differences left.
Sonic & Knuckles 0610
- The bugged fade-in from 0606 and 0608 has been fixed.
- The level select code now works in Sonic & Knuckles alone.
- Title Cards finally say SONIC & KNUCKLES.
- Selecting SPECIAL STAGE 1 on the level select will bring you to the faded NO WAY! screen. use FFFFA1:0001 to enable the Blue Spheres minigame.
- There's no code to enable Blue Spheres yet.
- The player can't input a password for Blue Spheres yet.
Sonic & Knuckles 0612
- Selecting SPECIAL STAGE 1 will still bring you to the Blue Spheres minigame.
- There's still no code to enable Blue Spheres.
- While the password selection for Blue Spheres is present, it can't be selected yet.
Sonic & Knuckles 0618
- Selecting SPECIAL STAGE 1 will no longer bring you to the Blue Spheres minigame.